Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:49:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 496 »
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] Sia - Decentralized Storage  (Read 1382127 times)
Taek (OP)

Activity: 543
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 07:40:43 AM
Last edit: February 28, 2017, 03:30:04 PM by Taek
Merited by Financisto (1)

Sia is an actively developed decentralized storage platform. Users all over the world contribute disk storage from their
computers to form a decentralized network. Anybody with siacoins can rent storage from this network, and hosts are
paid for their contributions. A combination of smart contracts, erasure coding, and encryption ensure secure, private,
and reliable decentralized storage. You can download and use Sia today! sia.tech

A smart contract on the blockchain ensures through the use of cryptographic proofs of storage that hosts are only paid
if they keep the file for the entire duration of the contract. Employment of erasure codes such as Reed Solomon codes
guarantees high file uptime even if most of the hosts on the network are unreliable or have frequent outages. All data is
encrypted client-side and padded, preventing hosts from snooping the contents of the files and even from guessing what
the file might be based on the filesize.

The distrubuted nature of the Sia network enables many optimizations in latency, throughput, reliability, and security.
The decentralized nature of the Sia network enables anyone with storage to get paid, lowering the barrier to entry and
reducing the overall price of cloud storage.

The Technology

The foundation of Sia is a proof of work blockchain. Storage contracts are a new type of transaction that get enforced
by the blockchain. Sia's hashing algorithm is blake2b. p2pool and multisig wallets are both supported on Sia.

When a file is uploaded to Sia, a storage contract is created containing the Merkle root of the file, a reward for the
host, and a penalty for the host (both in siacoins). After an agreed-upon duration, the host is required to prove that
the file is still available by providing a random Merkle proof. If the proof is valid, the host is rewarded; otherwise,
the host is penalized.  Random numbers are generated deterministically using the most recent block as a seed.

Sia has support for two way payment channels, and two way contract diffs.  Among other things, this provides massive
scalability, and eliminates the need for untrustworthy 0-confirmation transactions. Once you join a payment channel
network, all transactions within that network will be instant and final, with no risk of a double spend.

Reliability is achieved by using erasure coding in a massively distributed environment. Erasure coding allows a file to
be split into many pieces, such that the original file can be recovered using only a few of them. For example, you can
take a 50 MB file, break it into 200 pieces that are 1 MB each, and then you can recover the original file from *any* 50
of the pieces. This method has the same overhead as creating 4 complete copies of the file, yet is much more reliable
because it's much less likely that 151 out of 200 hosts will go offline than it is that 4 out of 4 hosts will go
offline.

As the network grows, we will apply statistical analysis to determine the redundancy required to provide 99.9999%
reliability on files. It is likely that 3x overhead is absurd overkill, and statistical analysis will give an accurate
picture of how much overhead is required.

Using 200 hosts to store a file means that downloads can be massively parallel. Even if the average Sia host does not
have quick upload speeds, the massive parallelism enabled by Sia means that downloads will be blazing fast anyway.  In
addition, you can choose to connect only to the datacenters that are the closest and the fastest. This optimization
(known as a CDN) is a hugely expensive project for a traditional cloud storage service, but for Sia it is a natural
consequence of the decentralized network.

As security is a top priority of Sia, all encryption is performed locally; the people storing your files will have no
ability to see what you have uploaded.  Not only is every file encrypted separately, every *piece* of every file is
encrypted separately, and hosts are not told which pieces are part of the same file.

The Cryptocurrency

Sia uses a new cryptocurrency, called the siacoin. The developers will mine the first 100 blocks or so before releasing
the code + miner to the public.  Other than these first blocks, there is no premine for siacoins.  The first block
reward will be 300,000 siacoins. Each block reward after that will be one siacoin smaller than the previous block reward
(299,999, then 299,998, and so on). When the block reward reaches 30,000, all remaining blocks will give a 30,000
siacoin reward. The block time is 10 minutes. Each siacoin is composed of 10^24 indivisible units.

The most important features of Sia can only be accessed by using siacoins. All storage contracts and all Sia payment
channels require owning siacoins. This requirement means that as Sia grows in usage, so too will demand for siacoins.
As demand grows, the price will increase. If Sia is being used for billions of dollars of storage, billions of dollars
of siacoins will be required. The value of the siacoin is inextricably tied to the amount of storage in use on the Sia
network.

Sia has a second cryptocurrency, called the Siafund. 3.9% of all successful storage contract payouts go to the holders
of the siafunds. There are 10,000 siafunds total, and all 10,000 are completely premined. Sia's parent company, Nebulous
Inc., holds approximately 8750 of these siafunds. The remaining siafunds were sold in a crowdfund which helped to
finance Sia's early development. The primary goal of siafunding is to provide a way to finance the development of Sia
without relying on donations or a premine. More people using Sia means more funding available to hire more developers.

Standard transactions are not subject to the fee, and neither are failed storage contracts (where the host was offline
or lost the file).

The Business Plan

The long term goal of Sia is to be the backbone storage layer of the Internet.  All long term storage will be performed
on Sia. All movies and music will be streamed from Sia. All images will be embedded from Sia. All businesses will use
Sia as a backend for cloud storage. Sia intends to replace Bittorrent, Amazon S3, Amazon Glacier, Microsoft OneDrive,
and all backend cloud storage services. We intend to fully disrupt a many billion dollar industry.

Sia is meant to be a Platform that other applications can build off of. The beta has a first draft API for developers to
use, found here.

Over the next few months, we are focusing on building out the api and creating an example application that replaces
Bittorrent. If you have ideas for things that you want to build which will use Sia, please get in touch with us. Sia is
completely open source, and you can use the API without getting explicit permission or paying any royalties or licensing
fees.

The Future

The promise of Sia is a decentralized network of small datacenters that, taken together, comprise the world's fastest,
cheapest, and most secure cloud storage platform. Today, being a major cloud storage player requires having datacenters,
building trust within the market, reaching customers, and competing with giants such as Amazon, Google, and Microsoft.
Breaking into this market is a multi-billion dollar endeavor.

Sia changes that, by enabling small, efficient datacenters to sell their storage without market trust and without a
marketing budget. Sia lowers the barrier to entry, and in doing so creates a wealth of cheap storage for its users.
Anyone with an Internet connection and a cheap source of storage can make money.

The long term goal of Sia is to become a serious competitor to existing cloud storage platforms, including Dropbox,
Google Drive, and OneDrive. We envision a future where even massive services such as Netflix and YouTube will use Sia to
deliver the best user experience to their customers.

We are looking forward to the data storage revolution. Help us make it happen.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
e1ghtSpace
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1001

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2015, 07:42:37 AM

Is this here to stay? Nope, sia. Smiley  <-- see what I did there.  Grin

Just kidding, this looks really awesome!

This is the most innovative coin I have seen all year, looking forward to the release!
**D!ABLO**

Activity: 432
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 07:45:07 AM

Still reading. Looking for the acronym ICO.
e1ghtSpace
Legendary

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2015, 07:46:53 AM

The only acronym ICO I found was in your post. Smiley

Why don't you use Ctrl + F? Its simple really. Smiley
Beymond

Activity: 462

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 07:47:08 AM

Reading...
xinbinbin

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 07:47:32 AM

no pow?
adidas

Activity: 448

Americans do it better

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 07:47:40 AM

Mee to. But i couldn´t find it. LOL
I Hope there will  be no Ico in here....

What is the Max. supply of coins?  300 000 coins per block is a lot of coins.

cintrondigital

Activity: 630
Merit: 507

CryptoRoundTable.com

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2015, 07:57:57 AM

Seems interesting enough to follow.

▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▞▬▬▬▚▬▬▬▚
bathrobehero
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1050

ICO? Not even once.

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 07:59:27 AM

This is interesting. The wallet seem to be based on Chrome?

Block height is 1461. Is it live or testnet?

Not your keys, not your coins!
e1ghtSpace
Legendary

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2015, 08:00:26 AM

Oh come on, the wallet doesn't even work... Sad

It seems that one of the folder's name is too long.
It also seems that delayed_stream.js is too long or something.

I think my wi-fi just sucks and corrupted the download... That would explain why it finished downloading so quickly...
The surprising thing is, the wallet actually opens but the only tab that works is the peers tab.
chrysophylax
Legendary

Activity: 2814
Merit: 1091

--- ChainWorks Industries ---

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2015, 08:02:15 AM

interesting ...

#crysx

adidas

Activity: 448

Americans do it better

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 08:05:27 AM

Old project....

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=591283.0

chrysophylax
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2015, 08:06:05 AM

hashing algo is blake2b ...

doesnt ccminer-spmod do that? ...

i know it does blake - but not sure about blake2b ...

whats the difference? ...

#crysx

chrysophylax
Legendary

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2015, 08:07:20 AM

gotcha ...

so im guessing the other thread is the 'official' one ...

#crysx

Taek (OP)

Activity: 543
Merit: 501

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 08:07:33 AM

This is interesting. The wallet seem to be based on Chrome?

Electron, a WebKit based tool for making cross platform desktop apps.

Mee to. But i couldn´t find it. LOL
I Hope there will  be no Ico in here....

What is the Max. supply of coins?  300 000 coins per block is a lot of coins.

No ICO. We are funded at this point. We've been working on Sia for 9 months now, we hope you like it.

Oh come on, the wallet doesn't even work... Sad

It seems that one of the folder's name is too long.
It also seems that delayed_stream.js is too long or something.

I think my wi-fi just sucks and corrupted the download... That would explain why it finished downloading so quickly...
The surprising thing is, the wallet actually opens but the only tab that works is the peers tab.

Unfortunately the wallet gets upset if you don't have an internet connection at startup. If there's another problem, please provide as many details as possible. It's still beta software and probably has bugs. We will try to resolve as many problems as possible by June 7th.
defunctec
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 08:33:45 AM

I downloaded the "win32" wallet and im promted with an error when i try to unpack "win32".

"Destination path too long"
node_modules
lib
test

The wallet starts instantly but some tabs in the wallet do not work.
e1ghtSpace
Legendary

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2015, 08:38:40 AM

I downloaded the "win32" wallet and im promted with an error when i try to unpack "win32".

node_modules
lib
test

I have exactly the same problem, as you can see in my post above.
Does the peers tab seem to be the only working tab for you?
defunctec
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 14, 2015, 08:40:25 AM

node_modules
lib
test

Yeh, i can add names... Thats it.

Im shocked at how quick the wallet loads up! Is that normal?
e1ghtSpace
Legendary

Crypto since 2014

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2015, 11:00:55 AM

node_modules
lib
test

Yeh, i can add names... Thats it.

Im shocked at how quick the wallet loads up! Is that normal?
I don't think you can really say "loads up" if it doesn't. Smiley
It will probably take way longer when everything actually works.
rich93

Activity: 595
Merit: 101

Chromia - Relational Blockchain

View Profile WWW
May 14, 2015, 11:17:01 AM

Are we still on the testnet? I seem to be having an issue with my wallet balance... I can see that I have mined many blocks but my balance is 0 in the wallet.
I just want to make sure I'm not losing Siacoins somehow in the upgrade process. I have moved over my wallet.dat from the 0.30 to the 0.31 folder.

My apologies, we reset the testnet. Your old coins are gone (anything from sia-ui 0.2.0 or siad 0.3.0 is gone). This will happen one more time on June 7th when we release the full currency. After that point, coins are permanent.

just saw your other thread - and was pointed back here ...

seems like a good project ...

ill readup more on it ... but what is involved in teh mining of the coin when released? ...

will watch this Smiley ...

crysx

I have created a new thread here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1060294.0

Unless I am in violation of some forum rule or general etiquette, I would like to make that thread the official Sia thread. Sia has changed substantially since the original creation of this thread, and a significant amount of time has passed.

To answer your mining question, the developers are planning on mining the first 100 blocks or so. After that mining will work much like Bitcoin, anyone can mine and get the full block subsidy. All of coins mined in the first 100 blocks will be used for giveaways, public file uploading, fountains, and other community growing uses. The coins will not be used to line the developers pockets.

What percentage of the total coins will be mined by the devs in the first 100 blocks?

♠️ Facebook: http://facebook.com/ChromiaStudios                 ♥️ Webpage: http://chromiastudios.com
♦️ LinkedIn:  http://linkedin.com/company/chromiastudios      ♣️ Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/ChromiaStudios                     
♥️ Twitter:    https://twitter.com/teamchromia                        ♦️  Twitter: https://twitter.com/ChromaWay
************************************************************************************************
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... 496 »
  Print  

Jump to: