Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:25:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Currency Symbol ฿  (Read 79400 times)
NewLibertyStandard (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 268

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2010, 01:48:53 AM
Merited by DdmrDdmr (4), Halab (2), xtraelv (2), BitcoinFX (1)

I propose that we adopt the Thai baht currency symbol, ฿, as the official bitcoin currency symbol and BTC as the official bitcoin three letter currency code.

Treazant: A Fullever Rewarding Bitcoin - Backup Your Wallet TODAY to Double Your Money! - Dual Currency Donation Address: 1Dnvwj3hAGSwFPMnkJZvi3KnaqksRPa74p

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Sabunir

Activity: 41
Merit: 13

View Profile
February 05, 2010, 02:24:06 AM
Merited by BitcoinFX (1)

I think that using any existing currency's symbol will cause potential confusion. Another disadvantage of that symbol is that it is not a key on most keyboards, so it would not be able to be typed easily. I would think that the ampersand (&) would be a better choice.

I agree that its three-letter code could be BTC.
NewLibertyStandard (OP)

Merit: 268

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2010, 03:52:04 AM
Merited by BitcoinFX (1)

There's nothing wrong with multiple currencies using the same symbol. Many different currencies use the dollar sign, $. The ampersand, &, already has many very well defined meanings, including multiple uses as a prefix. It absolutely is not a currency symbol and using it as such would cause a lot more confusion than using an already existent obscure currency symbol. There is a generic currency symbol, ¤, which I considered using until I noticed the very beautiful ฿. You can type ฿ in Ubuntu by pressing Ctrl-Shift-U 0E3F and in Windows by pressing Alt 0E3F. I will be using it and I hope it catches on.

Treazant: A Fullever Rewarding Bitcoin - Backup Your Wallet TODAY to Double Your Money! - Dual Currency Donation Address: 1Dnvwj3hAGSwFPMnkJZvi3KnaqksRPa74p
BitcoinFX
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1720

https://youtu.be/DsAVx0u9Cw4 ... Dr. WHO < KLF

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2010, 09:44:54 AM

BTC has already become the standard for the three-letter code I think and it makes a lot of sense.

Using ฿ as the currency symbol I think is acceptable and I approve of the choice.

The fact that it is not on many keyboards could easily be overcome by including it in a copy / paste box in the Bitcoin application in future versions, if it is adopted as the official symbol. Grin

For any windows or mac users that don't have M$ Office products the symbol is available using OpenOffice.org free and open productivity suite alternative.

Insert > Special Characters ( Font = Tahoma , Subset = Thai )

P.S. Maybe one day we might be able to trade BTCUSD in a Meta Trader style application !  Shocked Cool

"Bitcoin OG" 1JXFXUBGs2ZtEDAQMdZ3tkCKo38nT2XSEp | Bitcoin logo™ Enforcer? | Bitcoin is BTC | CSW is NOT Satoshi Nakamoto | I Mine BTC, LTC, ZEC, XMR and GAP | BTC on Tor addnodes Project | Media enquiries : Wu Ming | Enjoy The Money Machine | "You cannot compete with Open Source" and "Cryptography != Banana" | BSV and BCH are COUNTERFEIT.
BitcoinFX
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1720

https://youtu.be/DsAVx0u9Cw4 ... Dr. WHO < KLF

View Profile WWW
February 05, 2010, 09:50:28 AM
Merited by fronti (1), finist4x (1)

I guess if we need to make it a bit more distinguishable then we could adopt the italic version. Grin

฿

"Bitcoin OG" 1JXFXUBGs2ZtEDAQMdZ3tkCKo38nT2XSEp | Bitcoin logo™ Enforcer? | Bitcoin is BTC | CSW is NOT Satoshi Nakamoto | I Mine BTC, LTC, ZEC, XMR and GAP | BTC on Tor addnodes Project | Media enquiries : Wu Ming | Enjoy The Money Machine | "You cannot compete with Open Source" and "Cryptography != Banana" | BSV and BCH are COUNTERFEIT.
sirius
Bitcoiner

Activity: 429
Merit: 974

View Profile
February 05, 2010, 10:23:50 AM

Do as you see fit, but personally I'd just go with bc or btc to avoid confusion.

Iris — for better social networks
I'm not a forum admin - please contact theymos instead.
SmokeTooMuch
Legendary

Activity: 860
Merit: 1021

View Profile
February 06, 2010, 02:55:34 PM

i will stick to BTC, too.

Date Registered: 2009-12-10 | I'm using GPG, pm me for my public key. | Bitcoin on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/btc
I-am-not-anonymous

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 16, 2010, 04:34:53 AM
Last edit: February 16, 2010, 08:09:30 AM by I-am-not-anonymous

The Baht symbol alone Could Cause some Confusion yes, but combine it with the symbol for the Costa Rican Colón and you get;

฿₡

so you could say, please send me ฿₡50.00.  

It is not unheard of to use two or more symbols to represent a currency, for example:

the Nicaraguan Cordobas uses: C$
the Dominican Peso uses: RD$

EDIT: Remember when you could buy a shave and a haircut for "two bits"?  Well that day may soon come again.
The Madhatter

Activity: 490
Merit: 509

My avatar pic says it all

View Profile
February 24, 2010, 02:43:27 AM

It is probably best to price your goods in whatever fiat currency you are dealing with online (usually USD). It is less confusing to the consumer. Trust me on this one. Once the customer has agreed to purchase whatever you are selling -- exchange it on the fly and show them the total in BCs.

This is most likely the way I am going to do it.

Cheers!
devondad93

Activity: 52

View Profile
July 05, 2010, 02:52:02 AM
Last edit: July 06, 2010, 09:00:29 AM by devondad93

There's nothing wrong with multiple currencies using the same symbol. But I think you are going to spend more times having that proposal. But for me, I will support you on that idea. Good luck!
Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
July 05, 2010, 02:30:59 PM

I would say: Use whatever you feel like using!

The spirit of Bitcoin is that there is no need for a central authority or "official" policy as with other currencies.

There is no reason why we can't have multiple interchangeable symbols/notations for the same currency.

And even if we do adopt an "official" symbol, users might not stick with it anyhow. 

We should just let it evolve organically, like a word in a natural language, and not worry too much about it at this early stage.

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
Anonymous

July 07, 2010, 01:39:50 AM

I would say: Use whatever you feel like using!

The spirit of Bitcoin is that there is no need for a central authority or "official" policy as with other currencies.

There is no reason why we can't have multiple interchangeable symbols/notations for the same currency.

And even if we do adopt an "official" symbol, users might not stick with it anyhow. 

We should just let it evolve organically, like a word in a natural language, and not worry too much about it at this early stage.

I agree.Let the market decide.

Standards dont come from force...... Smiley
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
January 08, 2011, 03:43:13 AM

Interesting list:
  Top 10 not-so-famous currency symbols
  http://ibnlive.in.com/photogallery/2185-4.html#view_start

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

hook

Activity: 26

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2011, 03:43:35 PM

You simply cannot use an already existing currency symbol for a new currency. Period.

Also I'm not to partial to the "let's use a letter and put one or two stripes through it" idea. I associate it with a certain fiat currency and subjectively makes me feel like it's not something serious. Don't know why, but it bothers me.
bittersweet

Activity: 222
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 08, 2011, 04:17:35 PM
Last edit: January 08, 2011, 04:39:16 PM by bittersweet

Seriously, I don't think there is a need to re-invent the wheel here.

Whether you like it or not, the reality is that the serif "B" with 4 stripes is already used as Bitcoin logo by many people, so why not use it as a currency symbol? Currency symbol MUST be unique, you can't use existing ฿ unless you want to confuse someone during transaction - you don't want to confuse people when they trade, especially when they trade money.

My Bitcoin address: 1DjTsAYP3xR4ymcTUKNuFa5aHt42q2VgSg
Anonymous

January 08, 2011, 04:46:23 PM

Whether you like it or not, the reality is that the serif "B" with 4 stripes is already used as Bitcoin logo by many people, so why not use it as a currency symbol? Currency symbol MUST be unique, you can't use existing ฿ unless you want to confuse someone during transaction - you don't want to confuse people when they trade, especially when they trade money.

Great Idea. It seems we had it staring us in the face the whole time. Smiley
Hal
VIP

Activity: 314
Merit: 3853

View Profile
January 08, 2011, 07:02:37 PM

Interestingly, the dollar sign originated with two vertical bars rather than one, according to several theories.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollar_sign
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cifrão

Also, supposedly Unicode allows the character to be rendered either with one line or two, entirely depending on the taste of the font designer.

Hal Finney
mikegogulski

Activity: 360
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2011, 07:59:22 PM

You simply cannot use an already existing currency symbol for a new currency. Period.

Currency symbol MUST be unique, you can't use existing ฿ unless you want to confuse someone during transaction

Hogwash to both of you. Go tell that to the Mexicans, who don't seem to have much trouble distinguishing their $ (peso) from $ (USD). Or to the Canadians or Australians or Kiwis who use $ for dollar. Or to the Danes, Norwegians, Swedes, Icelanders and Estonians, all of which use(d) "kr" for local variations of "crown". Or the Costa Ricans and Salvadorans, both of whom use ₡ for their currency symbol.

IMHO, introducing a new symbol that's not already in Unicode is a poor idea. It took a year and a half for the € (euro currency) symbol to be included in the Unicode standard after the European Commission released the design, and that's the kind of lead time you might look forward to for an "official" government currency.

There are a whole bunch of viable existing "b" codes already in Unicode. Some of them here: http://www.fileformat.info/info/unicode/char/search.htm?q=B&preview=entity I'm partial to the circle-b/B ones myself.

FREE ROSS ULBRICHT, allegedly one of the Dread Pirates Roberts of the Silk Road
hook

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2011, 08:35:59 PM

What about ❂ (U+2742) — it's coin-shaped and has 8 spikes, which makes it look like a "piece of eight", which makes sense with the "bit" bit of bitcoin and the fact that it can be fractured up to 8 digits.
davux

Activity: 288
Merit: 263

Firstbits.com/1davux

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2011, 11:11:23 PM

What about ❂ (U+2742) — it's coin-shaped and has 8 spikes, which makes it look like a "piece of eight", which makes sense with the "bit" bit of bitcoin and the fact that it can be fractured up to 8 digits.

It's a great idea – the problem is, this character is a little difficult to read. On my computer, all I see is a circle with a thick, textured, grey-ish border.

1DavuxH9tLqU4c7zvG387aTG4mA7BcRpp2
México (Oaxaca) – France - Leeds
Alcoholocaust

Activity: 5

View Profile
January 09, 2011, 02:36:58 PM

I prefer Ⓑ

It is relatively easy to read and is not yet used for any other monetary unit (AFAIK)
asdfqwejpwek

Activity: 1

View Profile
March 27, 2011, 05:27:49 PM

Hello all, I decided I'd make an account JUST to show my support for Ⓑ (well, and probably to rant and ramble on other issues as well  Grin). Sure, $ is used in multiple places so why not the Thai ฿? I personally feel like bitcoin is such a radical step (at least for most people, who don't tend to think about the value of currency) that piggybacking on a current currency symbol just because it has the letter B in it is poor form. The Ⓑ (U+24B7) works just as well, or even better. It's shaped like a coin, it has a B, there is no potential for confusion.

I honestly can't think of an argument for ฿ and against Ⓑ.
Scorpion

Activity: 887
Merit: 516

Bitcoin OG

View Profile
March 27, 2011, 08:18:05 PM

I'll still use BTC too.

ryepdx

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
March 27, 2011, 08:36:16 PM

I like the B with the four stripes best. I'm opposed to using a symbol already in use by another currency.

That said, this discussion is very similar to the one over here:
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=369.0
CCCMikey

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 27, 2011, 11:16:39 PM

Ditto on 4-stripe B, or a B with two vertical lines through it for handwriting.
gigabytecoin

Activity: 280
Merit: 252

View Profile
March 29, 2011, 06:57:28 AM

USD, CAD, AUD, BTCD? Why can't we just use the dollar symbol? That is probably the most internationally recognized symbol in the entire world when it comes to "money".
em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2011, 09:37:12 AM
Last edit: April 25, 2011, 05:08:05 PM by em3rgentOrdr

a wise man (kiba FatherMcGruder) once told me:

"The only real standard is a defacto standard."

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
hook

View Profile WWW
March 29, 2011, 01:04:45 PM

a wise man (kiba) once told me:

The *only* real standard is an open standard.
hellekin

View Profile
April 25, 2011, 03:41:18 PM

I find it very practical to use an existing UTF-8 character, such as the symbol for Bhat, until there's a unicode character for bitcoin, e.g., using a double-barred-B.

Registration of new unicode characters can be done following this procedure: http://www.unicode.org/pending/proposals.html

Meanwhile, an image with a 'BTC' alt attribute could be used instead, for people who fear the confusion with Bhat.

+1 for BTC as the 3-letter-code for Bitcoins.

My ฿10-8

==
hk
FatherMcGruder

Activity: 322

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2011, 03:52:35 PM

Ahem:

if course I'm joking around...ofcourse it is important to have a standardized, commonly agreed-upon and recognized symbol
The only standard we can reasonably hope for is a de facto one.

Use my Trade Hill referral code: TH-R11519

Check out bitcoinity.org and Ripple.

Shameless display of my bitcoin address:
1Hio4bqPUZnhr2SWi4WgsnVU1ph3EkusvH
em3rgentOrdr

Activity: 434

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2011, 05:07:32 PM

Ahem:

if course I'm joking around...ofcourse it is important to have a standardized, commonly agreed-upon and recognized symbol
The only standard we can reasonably hope for is a de facto one.

My apologies, FatherMcGruder...I have edited my earlier post.

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
FatherMcGruder

View Profile WWW
April 25, 2011, 05:16:21 PM

My apologies, FatherMcGruder...I have edited my earlier post.
No worries, I'll waive my royalty. Everybody gets one.

Use my Trade Hill referral code: TH-R11519

Check out bitcoinity.org and Ripple.

Shameless display of my bitcoin address:
1Hio4bqPUZnhr2SWi4WgsnVU1ph3EkusvH
Stefan Thomas

Activity: 234

AKA: Justmoon

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2011, 01:02:49 AM

I use BTC wherever practical, just because it's the least ambiguous. But yes, if I needed to use a currency symbol specifically, I'd use ฿ over any of the alternatives. The vertical line is recognizable to mean "currency" and as others have stated, currency symbols routinely refer to multiple currencies, so even with $ and others you always have to have some context that determines which exact currency you're talking about, ฿ would be no different.

Twitter: @justmoon
PGP: D16E 7B04 42B9 F02E 0660  C094 C947 3700 A4B0 8BF3
TiagoTiago

Activity: 616

Firstbits.com/1fg4i :)

View Profile
April 26, 2011, 02:59:04 PM

There is already a thread several pages long about choosing an official symbol on Unicode for Bitcoin, there is even a page on the wiki with a few candidates.

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
TiagoTiago

View Profile
April 26, 2011, 03:02:51 PM

Here https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Bitcoin_symbol

(I dont always get new reply notifications, pls send a pm when you think it has happened)

Wanna gimme some BTC/BCH for any or no reason? 1FmvtS66LFh6ycrXDwKRQTexGJw4UWiqDX Smiley

The more you believe in Bitcoin, and the more you show you do to other people, the faster the real value will soar!

Do you like mmmBananas?!
dishwara
Legendary

Activity: 1855
Merit: 1016

View Profile
April 26, 2011, 05:34:03 PM

Bitcoin is going to be used for universal currency & may kill all other currencies.
For that instead of using an already PHYSICAL currency symbol, its better to go new.

I think the B with 4 stripes is the best.

Great Idea. It seems we had it staring us in the face the whole time. Smiley
Steve

Activity: 868
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
April 26, 2011, 06:02:17 PM

I vote for ฿

(gasteve on IRC) Does your website accept cash? https://bitpay.com
mrchowwow

View Profile
May 20, 2011, 06:25:36 PM

Why not the very-common lowercase Beta: β ? Otherwise, I like Ⓑ, too.
Ian Maxwell

Activity: 140

View Profile WWW
May 20, 2011, 06:44:52 PM

A problem with ฿ is that eventually we'll need our own Unicode character anyway, because Unicode is "semantic" in that symbols have a fixed meaning. This is okay for $ because it always means "dollar", it's just what sort of dollar that changes. Bitcoins are not our own local variant of bhat.

That said, I'm calling ฿ the best stopgap solution, and using it for now.

Should it go on the left or the right?

Ian Maxwell
PGP key | WoT rating
Ryland R. Taylor-Almanza
Legendary

Activity: 882

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 01:25:33 AM

So close to figuring out how to type the 4-striped B symbol, but the stripes aren't centered! B͈̎

.BITSLER.                 ▄███
               ▄████▀
             ▄████▀
           ▄████▀  ▄██▄
         ▄████▀    ▀████▄
       ▄████▀        ▀████▄
     ▄████▀            ▀████▄
   ▄████▀                ▀████▄
 ▄████▀ ▄████▄      ▄████▄ ▀████▄
█████   ██████      ██████   █████
 ▀████▄ ▀████▀      ▀████▀ ▄████▀
   ▀████▄                ▄████▀
     ▀████▄            ▄████▀
       ▀████▄        ▄████▀
         ▀████▄    ▄████▀
           ▀████▄▄████▀
             ▀██████▀
               ▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄            
▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀    ▄▄█▄▄ ▀▀▄         
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄      
█  ▀▄▄  ▀█▀▀ ▄      ▀████   ▀▀▄   
█ █▄  ▀▄   ▀████       ▀▀ ▄██▄ ▀▀▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█  ▀▀       ▀▄▄ ▀████      ▄▄▄▀▀▀  █
█            ▄ ▀▄    ▄▄▄▀▀▀   ▄▄  █
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ ▄▄   ███   ▀██  █           ▀▀  █ 
█ ███  ▀██       █        ▄▄      █ 
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  
▀▄            █        ▀▀      █  
▀▀▄   ███▄  █   ▄▄          █   
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    
▀▀▄   █   ▀▀▄▄▄▀▀▀         
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▀▀▀▀              
              ▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
          ▄▄████████████████▄▄
        ▄██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄
▄     ▄█████▀             ▀█████▄
██▄▄ █████▀                ▀█████
 ████████            ▄██      █████
  ████████▄         ███▀       ████▄
  █████████▀▀     ▄███▀        █████
   █▀▀▀          █████         █████
     ▄▄▄         ████          █████
   █████          ▀▀           ████▀
    █████                     █████
     █████▄                 ▄█████
      ▀█████▄             ▄█████▀
        ▀██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
          ▀▀████████████████▀▀
              ▀▀▀██████▀▀▀
            ▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
         ▄█▀▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀▀█▄
       █▀▀ ▄█████████████▄ ▀▀█
     █▀▀ ███████████████████ ▀▀█
    █▀ ███████████████████████ ▀█
   █▀ ███████████████▀▀ ███████ ▀█
 ▄█▀ ██████████████▀      ▀█████ ▀█▄
███ ███████████▀▀            ▀▀██ ███
███ ███████▀▀                     ███
███ ▀▀▀▀                          ███
▀██▄                             ▄██▀
  ▀█▄                            ▀▀
    █▄       █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
     █▄      ▀█████████▀
      ▀█▄      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
        ▀▀█▄▄  ▄▄▄
            ▀▀█████
[]
BitcoinsWallet

Activity: 70

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 01:37:18 AM

I like that too.

In this forum:
- Add one smile with that symbol
- Maybe, can switch ฿ to that smile automatically when people writes....

Cheesy
Ryland R. Taylor-Almanza
Legendary

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 01:42:02 AM

More: B̸ B̶

▄████▀
             ▄████▀
           ▄████▀  ▄██▄
         ▄████▀    ▀████▄
       ▄████▀        ▀████▄
     ▄████▀            ▀████▄
     ▀████▄            ▄████▀
       ▀████▄        ▄████▀
         ▀████▄    ▄████▀
           ▀████▄▄████▀
             ▀██████▀
               ▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄            
▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀    ▄▄█▄▄ ▀▀▄         
▀▀▄   █   ▀▀▄▄▄▀▀▀         
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▀▀▀▀              
              ▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
          ▄▄████████████████▄▄
        ▄██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄
        ▀██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
          ▀▀████████████████▀▀
              ▀▀▀██████▀▀▀
            ▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
         ▄█▀▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀▀█▄
       █▀▀ ▄█████████████▄ ▀▀█
    █▄       █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
     █▄      ▀█████████▀
      ▀█▄      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
        ▀▀█▄▄  ▄▄▄
            ▀▀█████
[]
TiagoTiago

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 01:52:33 AM

|B| ?

Do you like mmmBananas?!
shackra

Activity: 237
Merit: 102

1 Pedro 3:15-16 (DHH)

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2011, 01:56:40 AM

The Baht symbol alone Could Cause some Confusion yes, but combine it with the symbol for the Costa Rican Colón and you get;

฿₡

so you could say, please send me ฿₡50.00.  

yay! hello from Costa Rica Cheesy
i like the idea of use the symbol ฿, well, is used in the THAI currency... anyway, is harder to put in if you are in a laptop...

Bitcoin-OTC | GPG: 43C5AF3C1C559BA2 | Telegram: https://t.me/jorge_personal
kgo

Activity: 548

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 03:09:26 AM

Anger the Thai Government, and they'll sick Tony Jaa on you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiANsBkgqjU

"WHERE'S MY COUNTERFEIT?... WHERE'S MY COUNTERFEIT?..."

Seriously though, using an existing currency's symbol will just give people another excuse to say that bitcoin is a scam, or to question its legitimacy.  Yeah, sure they're ignorant of the way bitcoin works, but why should we give them another reason to talk trash on bitcoin?
IApplaudBitcoin

Activity: 7

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 04:00:12 AM

I think that it would be poetic for this open-sourced, grass roots, peer to peer currency to not have an offical currency symbol.

I do beleive that over time, the ฿ and the BTC will become the defacto symbols due to their prolific use.

I like to keep an open mind though, so I went ahead and designed a new one in MS Paint and attached it to this reply.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/228026_10150181729766498_707186497_7457841_3878945_n.jpg

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/247762_10150181729751498_707186497_7457840_151555_n.jpg
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
May 21, 2011, 04:11:21 AM

B!

or some combination of

# superimposed on B

hash, #, universal symbol for code and a B would be interesting to see.

MacFall

Activity: 84

Agorist

View Profile WWW
May 21, 2011, 05:18:04 AM

/b/  Cheesy

No king but Christ; no law but Liberty!

Fledge Press: Pro-Liberty Fiction and Art
1JBmYmG2U5ETj8BXZUBCXDKWCQcFoERBNP
nhodges

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 03:19:53 AM

Does anyone know the ALT + #### combination to make the bhat symbol?

peach

Activity: 56

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 03:20:51 AM

My Idea and explanation:
Done roughly in MS paint:
https://i.imgur.com/vVRc3.jpg

Anyways, I think whatever the symbol is it should be both easy to identify and easy to write on paper, and not overly complex.

My symbol is basically a modified lower-case 'b' with an extension of the vertical line, a slightly more ovular semi-circle than normal which slightly protrudes out of the vertical line (giving it the subtle impression of a reversed 'c').

What do you guys think?
wolftaur

Activity: 112

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 03:25:50 AM

I still think ß is a good choice for the currency symbol. Smiley

"MOOOOOOOM! SOME MYTHICAL WOLFBEAST GUY IS MAKING FUN OF ME ON THE INTERNET!!!!"
davux

Firstbits.com/1davux

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2011, 08:01:47 PM

I love it:

• Looks like a B.
  • Relatively easy to type, even on non-german keyboards (for example "compose s s", and on windows it's surely easy as well).
  • Present on most fonts.
  • Non-ambiguous: ß4.26 or 4.26ß, or even 4ß26 can't mean anything else than 4.26 bitcoins, even in a German context.
  • Non-ambiguous (bis): doesn't conflict with another currency.
  • It looks nice, and it offers neat possibilities of playing with its design.

Unless/until someone comes up with a new, better idea, I'll use ß from now on.

wolftaur

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 08:40:32 PM

I love it:

• Looks like a B.
  • Relatively easy to type, even on non-german keyboards (for example "compose s s", and on windows it's surely easy as well).
  • Present on most fonts.
  • Non-ambiguous: ß4.26 or 4.26ß, or even 4ß26 can't mean anything else than 4.26 bitcoins, even in a German context.
  • Non-ambiguous (bis): doesn't conflict with another currency.
  • It looks nice, and it offers neat possibilities of playing with its design.

Unless/until someone comes up with a new, better idea, I'll use ß from now on.

Option-s to get the ß symbol on a Mac. RightAlt-s to get it on Windows. I don't use Windows but I decided to go find it, to make it easier on anyone who reads this. Smiley

"MOOOOOOOM! SOME MYTHICAL WOLFBEAST GUY IS MAKING FUN OF ME ON THE INTERNET!!!!"
Joise

Activity: 30

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 09:28:17 PM

I like the ⓑ symbol most,

It is well recognizable, not that hard to type (Alt-24d1 or Ctrl-Shift-u 24d1 ),
it looks a bit like a coin and moreover it is quite similar to
the @, which did become a symbol of the electronic age.

The Baht symbol is also beautiful and the Baht-Cordoba combination
is well-looking and meaningful as well. However I think that
Baht alone would cause a little confusion at least in Thailand ;-)
drrussellshane

Activity: 546

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 09:50:13 PM

Hello all, I decided I'd make an account JUST to show my support for Ⓑ (well, and probably to rant and ramble on other issues as well  Grin). Sure, $ is used in multiple places so why not the Thai ฿? I personally feel like bitcoin is such a radical step (at least for most people, who don't tend to think about the value of currency) that piggybacking on a current currency symbol just because it has the letter B in it is poor form. The Ⓑ (U+24B7) works just as well, or even better. It's shaped like a coin, it has a B, there is no potential for confusion.

I honestly can't think of an argument for ฿ and against Ⓑ.

^^^ asdfqwejpwek has a point...

I like Ⓑ.

Smiley

Buy a TREZOR! Premier BTC hardware wallet. If you're reading this, you should probably buy one if you don't already have one. You'll thank me later.
wolftaur

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 10:23:56 PM

I still vote ß, it's the easiest to type, it's in all the fonts, etc, etc. Smiley

RevolutionMaster

Activity: 126

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 10:30:18 PM

I still vote ß, it's the easiest to type, it's in all the fonts, etc, etc. Smiley

Agreed. ß and BTC should be our official symbols.
drrussellshane

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 10:35:12 PM

The problem with ß is that is that it is actively used by a country/language.

Same with ฿.

To my knowledge, Ⓑ doesn't have that problem; and it is a "B" in a circle - like a "coin".

Buy a TREZOR! Premier BTC hardware wallet. If you're reading this, you should probably buy one if you don't already have one. You'll thank me later.
wolftaur

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 10:46:17 PM

Yes, ß is used in a language, however, the way it is used does not provide for any ambiguity to exist. ß45.20 would have only one possible interpretation. Same with 45.20ß if anyone was noting it that way.

TheBitMan

View Profile
July 03, 2011, 11:26:06 PM

I think it should be something we can type, not like all these images people are making. How to you get to that cool B ^^
davux

Firstbits.com/1davux

View Profile WWW
July 03, 2011, 11:48:34 PM

About the code: I generally use BC, not BTC.

Rationale:
  • The point is having a short notation, so using 2 letters is no worse than using 3 (it's even better).
  • It's BitCoin anyway, so BC just makes more sense. BTC is kind of a hack.
  • Having exactly 3 letters would be necessary only for compliance with ISO standardization rules, that we violate right ahead anway because those very rules require than any currency that's not issued by a government starts with an X. We also don't seem to care too much about 3 letters whenever we write LREUR (euros at Liberty Reserve), mtgoxUSD (US dollars at MtGox), etc.
  • In due time, having BC will allow us to simply write XBC wherever standardization is absolutely necessary (very rare, but happens sometimes) and Bitcoin needs to be mentioned in the scope of an ISO-compliant publication or system.

So, for me it's ß and BC: "14.3ß" (European, postfix notation), "ß14.3" (American, prefix notation), "gimme your BC", "I need to exchange EUR and BC", and so on. And "XBC" in more strict contexts.

Eri

Activity: 264

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 12:00:25 AM

any symbol that can not be currently copy/pasted will not work at this time.

id say a B with two lines would be ideal, to match the current symbol we use. however! two lines make the character hard to read when its small.. which is probably why the dollar sign uses one line when typed instead of the two its supposed to have when written.

this to me make the ฿ perfect.

as someone else said, context matters and nobody will confuse the BTC ฿ for the thai ฿, if a website trades BTC for other currencies nobody visiting is going to think "oh they must mean they are trading thai currency!" and in Any case where it might be confusing they would simply write "BTC ฿" or "Thai ฿".

i for one have never been able to use key codes to make symbols appear, they never work for me so id be copy/pasting them anyway! and of course their is always the lazy fallback of $ its on Every keyboard, its the default money symbol  "BTC $50" Etc. heck it isnt even needed in most cases, when you refer to money you do whats easy. people will more then likely stick with BTC when talking about it because its the fastest thing to type. so having to copy/paste "฿" is a non issue since it would hardly ever be used. same for any other symbol.

i also like the way ฿ looks, it seems to have more weight to it then ⓑ, which just looks "cheap" to me on my pc(may look better to others), and its a lowercase b as well @_@
Nescio

Merit: 1

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 12:03:55 AM

Same with ฿.

To my knowledge, Ⓑ doesn't have that problem; and it is a "B" in a circle - like a "coin".

Ⓑ is used by the Belgian railways Smiley It's also horrible for small typography.

ß is used a lot in German and could be confused with the Greek β.

BC will be confused with Before Christ.
XBC will be confused with Xbox and possibly XBMC. Does anyone even know about non-governmental currencies?

฿ and BTC are still the best options.
TheBitMan

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 12:11:05 AM

I thought ฿ was used in a currency already?
Eri

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 12:17:24 AM

I thought ฿ was used in a currency already?
it is, and so are many others, its apparently standard to reuse them. ฿ is only used for one other language (read the thread)
wolftaur

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 12:20:51 AM

I think it should be something we can type, not like all these images people are making. How to you get to that cool B ^^

On a Mac, it's Option-S. On Windows, I believe it's Control-RightAlt-S. On Linux, if I recall, it's Compose s s. (Hit Compose, often rightAlt, then press s twice.)

TheBitMan

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 12:23:55 AM

On a Mac, it's Option-S. On Windows, I believe it's Control-RightAlt-S. On Linux, if I recall, it's Compose s s. (Hit Compose, often rightAlt, then press s twice.)
I have windows I got that box up once before by searching it. what's it called (the thing with all those characters) The controls you told me just told me my computer info..
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 07:27:49 AM

BC will get bitcoin associated with British Columbia and all that BC bud that ends up in USA ... we wouldn't want Bitcoin associated with BC bud, it would give it a bad name

wolftaur

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 08:13:58 AM

BC will get bitcoin associated with British Columbia and all that BC bud that ends up in USA ... we wouldn't want Bitcoin associated with BC bud, it would give it a bad name

ß and BTC! Nice and simple. Smiley

bitfreak!
Legendary

Activity: 1536
Merit: 1000

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2011, 08:27:29 AM

Stop making this more confusing than it has to be. Every currency should have a 3 letter code.

General consensus has determined that the 3 letter currency code is: BTC

There is less consensus on the symbol. But the most common usage is: ฿

I would stick with those two choices as to avoid confusion and force everyone to start using the same thing.

XCN: CYsvPpb2YuyAib5ay9GJXU8j3nwohbttTz | BTC: 18MWPVJA9mFLPFT3zht5twuNQmZBDzHoWF
Cryptonite - 1st mini-blockchain altcoin | BitShop - digital shop script
Web Developer - PHP, SQL, JS, AJAX, JSON, XML, RSS, HTML, CSS
drrussellshane

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 08:30:59 AM

Stop making this more confusing than it has to be. Every currency should have a 3 letter code.

I would stick with those two choices as to avoid confusion and force everyone to start using the same thing.

I agree with you on BTC, but the baht symbol is already taken as a currency symbol.

bitfreak!
Legendary

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2011, 08:33:14 AM

I agree with you on BTC, but the baht symbol is already taken as a currency symbol.
Both the USD and AUD dollar use $ but they are completely different currencies. A B with a vertical line through it really does seem appropriate imo.

XCN: CYsvPpb2YuyAib5ay9GJXU8j3nwohbttTz | BTC: 18MWPVJA9mFLPFT3zht5twuNQmZBDzHoWF
drrussellshane

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 08:42:02 AM

Both the USD and AUD dollar use $ but they are completely different currencies. A B with a vertical line through it really does seem appropriate imo.

Yes, but whenever I've seen prices quoted in Australian Dollars it has been "A$" or "AUD$".

I like the ฿ too, but I feel it would be best to differentiate it from another currency.

wolftaur

View Profile
July 04, 2011, 08:49:10 AM

This is why I keep proposing ß. It's supported in virtually all fonts (even circa-1980 PC console), it's not used as a currency anywhere, and it looks similar to a B!

bitfreak!
Legendary

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2011, 08:51:50 AM

Yes, but whenever I've seen prices quoted in Australian Dollars it has been "A$" or "AUD$".

I like the ฿ too, but I feel it would be best to differentiate it from another currency.
Everything on the internet is usually just labelled with dollar sign, whether USD or AUD. In a lot of cases you have to check if the website is American or Australian in order to work out if their prices are in USD or AUD. You probably use mostly only American websites, and if they were selling something in AU dollars it would probably be labelled to make that clear. If a website was using the ฿ symbol for Bitcoin, and it wasn't clear enough for visitors (which I'm sure would be very unlikely), then I see no reason they couldn't just use BTC฿ or something like you said.

edgeworth

Activity: 12

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 10:21:56 PM

I made an adjustment to bitcoin symbol so that it represents a # combined with a B:
The graphics can be downloaded from this thread if anyone wants to use it: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=25102.0

nhodges

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 10:30:36 PM

I think you smoked a little too much of that BC bud, buddy ... Tongue I would surmise that 80% of potheads (or should I say medical marijuana patients) do not know what BC stands for, aside from Before Christ. Most of this demographic probably think Montreal and Toronto are provinces. Just my two (bit)cents.

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
July 06, 2011, 11:43:58 PM

I think you smoked a little too much of that BC bud, buddy ... Tongue I would surmise that 80% of potheads (or should I say medical marijuana patients) do not know what BC stands for, aside from Before Christ. Most of this demographic probably think Montreal and Toronto are provinces. Just my two (bit)cents.

jokes on you now BC buddy .... /sarcasm

Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 06:58:22 PM

What's wrong with B⃦ and/or B⃫ ?

Eri

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 08:43:54 PM

cant tell the first one is a B and my computer doesn't show the last one. looks like a "20" over "EB" in a square
wolftaur

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 09:29:43 PM

This is why I keep suggesting ß, it shows up on everyone's browser. It's in pretty much every font ever. And unlike the Thai Baht symbol... it isn't being used to represent another currency already.

jack102938

Activity: 141

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 09:44:16 PM

FFS what's wrong with just using BTC and ฿?

[/thread]
ampkZjWDQcqT

GNU is not UNIX

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 10:05:57 PM

I will keep using "BTC". What would we gain by using "฿"?. Nothing in my opinion.

If you found my comment useful please express your gratitude by doing an action of similar magnitude towards a better society. Thanks you!.
wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

Activity: 910

Revolutionizing Brokerage of Personal Data

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 10:13:53 PM

This is why I keep suggesting ß, it shows up on everyone's browser. It's in pretty much every font ever. And unlike the Thai Baht symbol... it isn't being used to represent another currency already.
Please no - the reason it is in pretty much ever font is that it is a regular character in German Sad
Would you approve of a regular character in the English alphabet as the standard currency symbol for BTC?

Please reconsider further promoting this character - I know we're only about 90 million people but I would really rather not have a few dozen BTC symbols spread over all existing German texts...

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
TELEGRAM     BITCOINTALK     FACEBOOK
MEDIUM    SLACK    TWITTER    YOUTUBE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   E M A I L   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
D.H.

Activity: 311

Bitcoin.se site owner

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2011, 10:14:24 PM

If we're not gonna move the decimal point we also need to think of a symbol for "milliBitcoins" and it's needed pretty much right away. People talk about mBTC and μBTC in other threads but it doesn't make any sense to put a prefix on the three letter currency code. What we need is another symbol, just like there is ¢ and $.

So here's my suggestion to make everyone happy. Smiley Use ฿ for Bitcoins since this is already rather established. Use ß for milliBitcoins. If Bitcoin becomes a success, milliBitcoins will be more widely used than Bitcoins anyway so that should make those rooting for ß happy.

www.bitcoin.se - Forum, nyheter och information på svenska! (Forum, news and information in Swedish)
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2011, 10:31:32 PM

"...associated with BC bud, it would give it a bad name." ...and we don't want to give BC bud a bad name.

Once a consensus is reached, superimpose the symbol over the top of this: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b8/Currency-Symbol_Regions_of_the_World_circa_2006.png
wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 10:36:50 PM

Use ß for milliBitcoins. If Bitcoin becomes a success, milliBitcoins will be more widely used than Bitcoins anyway so that should make those rooting for ß happy.
Nooooo...

The horror! The horror!

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
Jack of Diamonds

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 10:39:50 PM

So here's my suggestion to make everyone happy. Smiley Use ฿ for Bitcoins since this is already rather established. Use ß for milliBitcoins. If Bitcoin becomes a success, milliBitcoins will be more widely used than Bitcoins anyway so that should make those rooting for ß happy.

It's an arbitrary stunt by people who want to make even small amounts valuable.

People don't bid on auctions for 40 millieuros or 20 cents. They bid €0.40 or $0.20 which is the official denomination.

BTC is easy to understand and can be typed with any sort of keyboard. All the significant sites that sell merchandise or services for bitcoins list their prices in the format 0.07BTC, 0.52BTC etc..

I have never seen anyone sell items for microbitcoins or millibitcoins. I have seen tons of people selling items for 0.10BTC.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
sharky112065

Activity: 383

View Profile
July 09, 2011, 10:49:42 PM

BTC works fine for me. All type-able on my keyboard.

Donations welcome: 12KaKtrK52iQjPdtsJq7fJ7smC32tXWbWr
wolftaur

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 02:08:23 AM

[/thread]

BTC, nothing. ฿, it's already a different currency. You REALLY want to use the symbol for a fiat currency for Bitcoin just because it looks sorta like the logo artwork?

wolftaur

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 02:11:38 AM

Please no - the reason it is in pretty much ever font is that it is a regular character in German Sad
Would you approve of a regular character in the English alphabet as the standard currency symbol for BTC?

Please reconsider further promoting this character - I know we're only about 90 million people but I would really rather not have a few dozen BTC symbols spread over all existing German texts...

Yes, it's used in German. The whole reason I know how to type ß in the first place, is that my family is German. I've asked several of them what they think of the use of ß for bitcoins. None of them have any problem with the idea. (And now two of my aunts and one of my cousins wants bitcoins...)

There's no ambiguity between the use of ß as a currency symbol with numbers, and the use of it in written German, whether you are using prefix or postfix notation.

DonnyCMU

Activity: 143

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 05:33:15 AM

Why is this keep being bumped?

I am from Thailand, and I am definitely against using ฿ to represent Bitcoin for the obvious reason stated here many time.

Ranked 30th largest GDP in the world, Thai economy may be small, but it's growing quick (8% last year). There is no entrenched e-payment service (like Paypal) in the country, as e-payment is not as popular yet. So, in Thailand, Bitcoin doesn't have much competitor and can become popular in the future. Also, Thai Baht is commonly used in neighboring Cambodia, Lao, and Burma as well. Moreover, I believe the Baht is well-known by a big number of western tourists to Thailand as well (The Hangover, anyone?)

So, I am well against using the Thai Baht sign for Bitcoin.
kloinko1n

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 06:44:37 AM

I am from Thailand, and I am definitely against using ฿ to represent Bitcoin for the obvious reason stated here many time.

Ranked 30th largest GDP in the world, Thai economy may be small, but it's growing quick (8% last year). There is no entrenched e-payment service (like Paypal) in the country, as e-payment is not as popular yet. So, in Thailand, Bitcoin doesn't have much competitor and can become popular in the future. Also, Thai Baht is commonly used in neighboring Cambodia, Lao, and Burma as well. Moreover, I believe the Baht is well-known by a big number of western tourists to Thailand as well (The Hangover, anyone?)

Extremely good motivation!
D.H.

Bitcoin.se site owner

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2011, 06:56:44 AM

It's an arbitrary stunt by people who want to make even small amounts valuable.

People don't bid on auctions for 40 millieuros or 20 cents. They bid €0.40 or $0.20 which is the official denomination.

BTC is easy to understand and can be typed with any sort of keyboard. All the significant sites that sell merchandise or services for bitcoins list their prices in the format 0.07BTC, 0.52BTC etc..

I have never seen anyone sell items for microbitcoins or millibitcoins. I have seen tons of people selling items for 0.10BTC.

You do realize that if Bitcoin becomes widely used the value of each Bitcoin will increase. This is a fact, not a guess. It will then be necessary to be able to pay e.g. 0.0012 bitcoins, and that's not a great way to write it since it is very hard to read. That is what the whole discussion about shifting the decimal point or using milliBitcoins is about.

www.bitcoin.se - Forum, nyheter och information på svenska! (Forum, news and information in Swedish)
Herodes

Activity: 868

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 07:03:39 AM

I agree. What sign to you suggest bitcoin should use?

Here are some suggestions:

ß,Ɓ,ƀ,Ƃ,Ƅ,ƅ,Ƀ,ɮ,β,Ѣ,ẞ

Or perhaps make an entirely new sign?
Eri

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 08:39:34 AM

not to belittle the opinion of someone from thailand, but other symbols are used in more then one country as well. if bitcoin caught on it would be remembered all throughout history as the symbol chosen by the world to represent a new currency. what an honor Smiley. and as others have mentioned, nobody would confuse the two currencies. The reason i like ฿ is because its the first letter in BitCoins and because it has a line through it like the money symbol $. even if thailand hadn't used that symbol we still would have (assuming it existed and could be used). if bitcoin were called SuperCoin id vote for $(more then likely anyway).
BitVapes

BitVapes.com

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2011, 08:49:41 AM

[/thread]

I use both =/  I kind of prefer Ƀ since its not used by countries, but I had problems rendering it on default installs of various/old browser testing of my site.

Buy Electronic Cigarettes with Bitcoin @ http://bitvapes.com
Stardust

Activity: 189

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 09:42:46 AM

Why can't we have a more imaginative symbol instead of B? And another color instead of gold/orange.
dishwara
Legendary

Activity: 1855
Merit: 1016

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 10:24:20 AM

Gold has high value in today's world. Even though titanium, platinum...are available & has value more than gold, no metal has the properties gold has & the SHINE gold gives.
Stardust

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 10:34:18 AM

Too shallow.
wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 10:57:05 AM

There's no ambiguity between the use of ß as a currency symbol with numbers, and the use of it in written German, whether you are using prefix or postfix notation.
There $ure i$n't, but $eriou$ly, how doe$ thi$ $entence look in your eye$ - plea$e be hone$t?

There are good reasons to use an entirely new symbol:
It is from the de-facto standard Bitcoin-logo, has resemblance to other currency symbols but is easily distinguishable from the Thai Baht symbol.

We could submit a proposal to the Unicode Consortium and simply use BTC wherever necessary until there is an official character which is included in standard typesets. It was more or less the same with € and EUR in the beginning of its days.

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
joepie91

Activity: 294

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 11:19:11 AM

Why can't we have a more imaginative symbol instead of B? And another color instead of gold/orange.
There are several colors that are automatically associated with certain characteristics. For example, gold/yellow and green are often associated with money, value, or worth, whereas blue is often associated with trust (ever wondered why so many banks use blue?). Things like that are actually rather important.

There $ure i$n't, but $eriou$ly, how doe$ thi$ $entence look in your eye$ - plea$e be hone$t?

It is from the de-facto standard Bitcoin-logo, has resemblance to other currency symbols but is easily distinguishable from the Thai Baht symbol.

We could submit a proposal to the Unicode Consortium and simply use BTC wherever necessary until there is an official character which is included in standard typesets. It was more or less the same with € and EUR in the beginning of its days.
Now how would this sentence look in your eyes?
"I am going to buy a can of soda for B1,00 or something like that."

Doesn't look that hard to interpret, right?

Like my post(s)? 12TSXLa5Tu6ag4PNYCwKKSiZsaSCpAjzpu Smiley
Quote from: hawks5999
I just can't wait for fall/winter. My furnace never generated money for me before. I'll keep mining until my furnace is more profitable.
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2011, 11:48:33 AM
Last edit: July 11, 2011, 05:12:28 AM by Phinnaeus Gage

There are several colors that are automatically associated with certain characteristics. For example, gold/yellow and green are often associated with money, value, or worth, whereas blue is often associated with trust (ever wondered why so many banks use blue?). Things like that are actually rather important.

I went to bed last night with this darn tread on my mind. I think it was during the R.E.M. (no, M doesn't stand for...) state, I envisioned something like the image below. It does incorporate the letters BC but in their lower case form with a crescent moon shaped c superimposed over the common letter b. I would eliminate the two short stubs that extend to the left of the vertical staff that forms the letter b. I guess I could of rendered it better by going on the great font hunt for the perfect b, but I already did that with the letter c to find just the right curvature that would look good enough to share the image in my mind with this community.

One advantage is that it can be hand written with only two strokes of the pen (or #2 pencil) just like the dollar sign (3 strokes if done the old fashioned way). I created it on a blue background for no particular reason, but now glad I did so that I can attach this post to a quote by joepie91 who pointed out, above, that the color blue is often associated with trust.

Here's my rendition of the Bitcoin symbol, below. Let me know what you think.

wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 11:48:46 AM

Not hard to interpret, no - but a little bit weird and rather unimaginative for a new currency symbol, yes. As I said: I'm not complaining about ambiguity.

I think we really can do better at choosing a currency symbol for something as new and innovative as Bitcoin than just recycling some other heavily used symbol.

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
Eri

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 11:54:46 AM

wont happen because we want a symbol we can use now.

why don't you guys make a new thread for a "symbol to be used in the future" get a bunch of people to submit ideas then have a poll for the best ones, the images themselves /must/ scale to be Small so it can fit in text. none of those giant pictures that don't scale at all. this in a way Really is two separate issues.
wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 12:35:17 PM

wont happen because we want a symbol we can use now.
Again, just use BTC in the meantime - or use an image if you must. I mean, the European Union didn't just use some existing fancy E just because they wanted a symbol really fast. If BTC is going to become a respected currency I think we can afford the time to really think such decisions through.

the images themselves /must/ scale to be Small so it can fit in text. none of those giant pictures that don't scale at all. this in a way Really is two separate issues.
Valid point - designing font symbols is not an easy task and I'm surely not qualified to do this, but I've given it a shot anyway:

I think it works, but of course - an experienced artist will certainly be able to improve.

As for having a separate thread for future symbols - I really don't see the need. There are no separate issues - do you really want a separate currency symbol for every different stage of Bitcoin's development? Again, if you need a symbol now: use BTC, as this seems to be pretty much the consensus. For a single letter symbol we have not reached yet this level of agreement and I'm just trying to contribute my suggestions.

There was at least one other thread with a poll which showed a tendency towards the Baht symbol but it didn't include many seemingly obviously options.

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
joepie91

Activity: 294

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 12:37:55 PM

Not hard to interpret, no - but a little bit weird and rather unimaginative for a new currency symbol, yes. As I said: I'm not complaining about ambiguity.

I think we really can do better at choosing a currency symbol for something as new and innovative as Bitcoin than just recycling some other heavily used symbol.
I think that in terms of people having to get used to aspects of Bitcoin, getting used to the currency symbol is the least of our worries.

Like my post(s)? 12TSXLa5Tu6ag4PNYCwKKSiZsaSCpAjzpu Smiley
Quote from: hawks5999
I just can't wait for fall/winter. My furnace never generated money for me before. I'll keep mining until my furnace is more profitable.
Eri

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 01:08:31 PM

@wareen: what i mean is 98% of people seem to want *a* symbol they can type or copy/paste regardless of what it is. i think nearly everyone uses the shorthand BTC, its easier to type. but having a symbol we can use right now kinda helps to make it feel official, at least that is what it kinda seems like to me. so convincing even 1 or 2% does not seem likely. if you make it a separate issue altogether your likely to get better responses and possibly even a consensus on one symbol since it removes the issue 'ease of typing it' and 'being the symbol of another currency'.
kloinko1n

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 05:16:14 PM

[snip>
I agree. What sign to you suggest bitcoin should use?

Here are some suggestions:

ß,Ɓ,ƀ,Ƃ,Ƅ,ƅ,Ƀ,ɮ,β,Ѣ,ẞ

Or perhaps make an entirely new sign?
Great listing!
As the word 'bit' (as in 'bit-coin') is abbreviated into a small 'b' and byte into a capital 'B', it would be logical to use the ƀ, Ƃ or Ѣ, otherwise it could be confused with a 'bytecoin'.
No interference with existing currencies, and outstanding from most of the other currencies by not being a capital. And right so, for being a non-physical currency.
Ryland R. Taylor-Almanza
Legendary

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 07:05:30 PM

I like the idea of mixing the hash symbol with a b. I'm not a good digital artist, but check this out:

If you can't see the hash, I highlighted it in this one:

It's very easy to write, and looks good. Just draw a 3 and 2 lines through the top. I got the idea from this post: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=25102.msg325489#msg325489

▄████▀
             ▄████▀
           ▄████▀  ▄██▄
         ▄████▀    ▀████▄
       ▄████▀        ▀████▄
     ▄████▀            ▀████▄
     ▀████▄            ▄████▀
       ▀████▄        ▄████▀
         ▀████▄    ▄████▀
           ▀████▄▄████▀
             ▀██████▀
               ▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄            
▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀    ▄▄█▄▄ ▀▀▄         
▀▀▄   █   ▀▀▄▄▄▀▀▀         
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▀▀▀▀              
              ▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
          ▄▄████████████████▄▄
        ▄██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄
        ▀██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
          ▀▀████████████████▀▀
              ▀▀▀██████▀▀▀
            ▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
         ▄█▀▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀▀█▄
       █▀▀ ▄█████████████▄ ▀▀█
    █▄       █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
     █▄      ▀█████████▀
      ▀█▄      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
        ▀▀█▄▄  ▄▄▄
            ▀▀█████
[]
MaGNeT
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1002

Waves | 3PHMaGNeTJfqFfD4xuctgKdoxLX188QM8na

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2011, 07:23:57 PM

I like the idea of mixing the hash symbol with a b. I'm not a good digital artist, but check this out:

It's very easy to write, and looks good. Just draw a 3 and 2 lines through the top. I got the idea from this post: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=25102.msg325489#msg325489

I like it Smiley
TiagoTiago

View Profile
July 10, 2011, 08:23:06 PM

That's an interesting one

Do you like mmmBananas?!
D.H.

Bitcoin.se site owner

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2011, 08:49:36 PM

Let me know what you think.

Looks pretty.

Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2011, 03:01:27 AM

Let me know what you think.

Looks pretty.

Thank you D.H. (but I trust you're just saying that 'cause it's blue)
drawoc

Activity: 168

Firstbits: 175wn

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 03:26:09 AM

What about something a little more stylized? Like this:

Donate: 175WNXmJ1WVhFgVGKUqEhYtAQGRYAvqPA
imperi

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 03:29:55 AM

How about...

/b/

Just kidding.  Grin
hsf_context

Activity: 67

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2011, 03:35:38 AM

How about...

/b/

Just kidding.  Grin

Oh god no!  Shocked

lol  Grin

But I agree with RylandAlmanza's idea. But when I write it, it reminds me of a 3 instead of a B.

Digital artist for hire! Sketches anyone?
Want a custom Photoshop artwork? PM me! GIF banners available too!
indicasteve

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2011, 05:11:57 AM

I'm going to go with BTC and ฿ for short on my site until something better in unicode comes along.  But, I might give the user the option to change the symbol in their account profile page....at least this thread provides a multitude of examples for the choices to provide.

Art Express!  Native American Art, Crafts and Weapons!  coingig.com/ArtExpress
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 08:34:59 AM

What about something a little more stylized? Like this:

yeah good ... more hieroglyphic, cyrillic or asian character feel would be an advantage, global currency and all.

Anonymous

July 11, 2011, 09:53:04 AM

How about...

/b/

Just kidding.  Grin

Bitcoin is the final boss of ben bernanke  Smiley
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2011, 10:39:27 AM

How about...

/b/

Just kidding.  Grin

Might as well make it look like this:

\B/

Bitcoin: Funneling One Bit at a Time

or

/B\

Bitcoin: A Crown Achievement

It even looks like a mascot: Barth Bader
ampkZjWDQcqT

GNU is not UNIX

View Profile
July 11, 2011, 09:54:57 PM

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Argument_to_moderation.

If you found my comment useful please express your gratitude by doing an action of similar magnitude towards a better society. Thanks you!.
Stardust

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 08:12:47 AM

I like this, I was hoping for something that doesn't have anything to do with letters of alphabet or keyboard. But I like this because it's meaningful, hashing plays an important role with bitcoins.

If people really want a symbol based on writing, maybe we could also use an alternate symbol based on Kanji. I don't know if Satoshi would mind this. Personally I like to stay away from my nationality, but maybe he is not the same.
julz
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 08:19:29 AM

I like this, I was hoping for something that doesn't have anything to do with letters of alphabet or keyboard. But I like this because it's meaningful, hashing plays an important role with bitcoins.

If people really want a symbol based on writing, maybe we could also use an alternate symbol based on Kanji. I don't know if Satoshi would mind this. Personally I like to stay away from my nationality, but maybe he is not the same.

I like this thing with the hash too.. except I can't quite get away from seeing it as a 3.

Whatever is used as a symbol - I hope people stop suggesting we borrow/steal the Thai Baht symbol ฿ .
It's a terrible idea and I don't understand why people think it even began to have wings. Leave the poor Baht alone!

@electricwings   BM-GtyD5exuDJ2kvEbr41XchkC8x9hPxdFd
Stemby
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1008

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 09:40:07 AM
Last edit: July 13, 2011, 04:35:21 AM by Stemby

But I agree with RylandAlmanza's idea. But when I write it, it reminds me of a 3 instead of a B.

We could say the same for the € symbol, that is more similar to a "C" instead of an "E".

In any case, I'd rather choose Ƀ for the bitcoin symbol.

“…virtual currencies, could have a substitution effect on central bank money if they become widely accepted.”
ECB Report, October 2012
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 10:19:55 AM

hashb

Nescio

View Profile
July 12, 2011, 11:24:03 PM

Whatever is used as a symbol - I hope people stop suggesting we borrow/steal the Thai Baht symbol ฿ .
It's a terrible idea and I don't understand why people think it even began to have wings. Leave the poor Baht alone!

It's only a terrible idea if you are against the quick adoption of Bitcoin through existing infrastructure. Or proud Thai of course Smiley CAD and AUD use $ as well, and I haven't heard of US protests over this. BTW, it already has wings, lots of people use it.

I'm not against a new symbol at some point, but don't think it's a problem to reuse a fairly obscure one, I'm sure most people are able to make the difference from context where necessary.
kloinko1n

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 06:17:43 AM

<snip to preserve bandwidth]
I'm not against a new symbol at some point, but don't think it's a problem to reuse a fairly obscure one, I'm sure most people are able to make the difference from context where necessary.
Think about all those Thai people who will get confused when confronted with a price in bitcoins... or is it in bath? I have no idea, let's guess...

Not a good idea.
julz
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 06:26:03 AM

I'm not against a new symbol at some point, but don't think it's a problem to reuse a fairly obscure one

The Thai economy positively dwarf's that of bitcoin - so what sort of crazy definition of 'obscure' are you using?

There are more than a handful of Thai people living in my city..  I meet some of them now and then. (latest one just last week)
It would feel completely ridiculous to attempt to introduce them to this newfangled currency called bitcoin, which abuses the Baht symbol.
They'd rightly think it was a pathetic joke. Any selling point about it being potentially useful to transfer value to friends and family back home would be lost.

Eri

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 08:06:37 AM

@everyone that says thai people will get confused

thai people are not stupid and i think they would be quite offended that you guys keep insisting they cant tell the difference between say 'Btc-฿' and 'Baht-฿'.for example the likely obvious difference in price even if it only said ฿, i go to a candy store and want to buy a candy bar, the price is listed as 0.07. knowing the price of goods in my country, its fairly obvious that price isn't in US dollars unless their is one hell of a sale going on(90% off if the price is in USD or the equivalent of 1 USD if its in BTC).

you guys seriously need to come up with a better argument other then "people are too stupid and will get confused so easily!". an example against ฿ in favor of Ƀ... "฿ looks far too cluttered and cramped compared with Ƀ which is bolder, far cleaner and somewhat stylish".
netrin

FirstBits: 168Bc

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 02:45:25 PM
Last edit: July 13, 2011, 02:59:18 PM by netrin

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
ItsASpork

Activity: 82

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 03:27:08 PM

There are a lot of latin letters or other symbols we can use to represent bitcoin, and how anyone can think it's logical to steal another currency's symbol is beyond me.

Feeling Generous? 16Zo6werKP4akoTfHc9P5XXBGS2jFqeuSt
Support the Bitcoin Faucet
Eri

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 04:16:16 PM

does anyone actually bother to read a thread before posting?
Fakeman

Activity: 154

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 04:52:05 PM

It's not a matter of "stealing" another currency's symbol, but for example there may be some confusion if I use "$" in an international context (i.e. on the internet) and assume you will know I mean Mexican pesos or whatever. No problem if we both know we are talking about Mexico.

I like the circled "B" that looks like a copyright symbol personally, since it actually looks like a coin. Sure you could lobby for a new Unicode symbol but fonts would also have to be updated to support it. Ideally the symbol should be supported by most Unicode fonts already.

16wEsax3GGvJmjiXCMQUWeHdgyDG5DXa2W
julz
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 04:52:40 PM

does anyone actually bother to read a thread before posting?

Sure. I just disagree with you.
As someone who suffers under a system of the overloaded use of $ - I disagree with using the ฿.

Sometimes it's just not clear whether a site is pricing in AUD or USD. It wasn't an issue before global ecommerce - it's now an (admittedly slight) annoyance.

BitcoinPorn

Activity: 630

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 05:04:55 PM

I think everyone is looking at things the wrong way.   Take the least used currency symbol out of the current options, repurpose it.

The majority will rule as to what is accepted as what that symbol represents.   You can argue that there is already established history with those older currency symbols and I would argue that we all have a better chance of grabbing a symbol that is already in everyone's computer as a special character than we do attempting to add a new symbol into older established systems that use these characters.

฿

Here by symbolizes Bitcoin currency.   The people who deal with business in Thai money can at this point continue to use their older form of currency and symbol, who cares, as I would argue there are more Bitcoin users actively using a currency symbol in their day to day life than Thai people using that symbol on a day to day basis.   Break down some numbers people, this isn't a joke, you know the acceptance of Bitcoin currency is stronger than the Thai dollar.  It is about time the Thai people jump on board with a better currency, and I think will be pleased a symbol that was once held for them represents something much great for the whole world Smiley

Best part about using the ฿ symbol, is no one in this thread needs to agree on if it is a good choice or not.  Enough Bitcoin business' already use this, just keep doing what you are doing, and if you are for this initiative, just use the ฿ instead of "btc" or even "Bitcoin" when referencing something having to do with a Bitcoin price.

Also, this isn't quoted enough if this thread.

Looks slick.

julz
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 05:46:51 PM

Break down some numbers people, this isn't a joke, you know the acceptance of Bitcoin currency is stronger than the Thai dollar.  
I don't know such a thing..   with the Thai GDP at over  300Billion USD$ equiv  - I'm pretty sure nearly everyone I know would accept 31Million Thai Baht over 71500 BTC - even assuming they both theoretically exchange to about $1M USD.

Best part about using the ฿ symbol, is no one in this thread needs to agree on if it is a good choice or not.  Enough Bitcoin business' already use this, just keep doing what you are doing, and if you are for this initiative, just use the ฿ instead of "btc" or even "Bitcoin" when referencing something having to do with a Bitcoin price.
meh.. I'll stick to using BTC.   You may be right that it's a losing battle though.

BitcoinPorn

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 06:01:54 PM

You may be right that it's a losing battle though.
It is.  Fighting the color chart fight is good one, that is interesting and has merit.

This making the symbol, it's too late.  Obviously there is no numbers, but the amount of business' using Bitcoin versus how many of them are on these specific forums, I do not believe relates as much as people might think.

The sooner people accept this portion that has already been established in a 'natural' way the sooner we can progress with Bitcoin in other regards.  Seriously too, this thread is far too big for a bunch of people attempting to take on and control something that is something no one can control (at this point mind you, this thread should have been made 2 years ago and ended then).

brandon@sourcewerks

Activity: 62

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 07:10:09 PM

Seems BTC is the natural choice...

Enjoying the discussion about a symbol to use  Grin
Fakeman

Activity: 154

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 09:01:54 PM

This making the symbol, it's too late.  Obviously there is no numbers, but the amount of business' using Bitcoin versus how many of them are on these specific forums, I do not believe relates as much as people might think.

On the other hand, it appears that large numbers of people rely on only a handful of sites to check exchange rates. Whatever they use pretty much becomes the de facto standard. So far that would seem to be "BTC".

16wEsax3GGvJmjiXCMQUWeHdgyDG5DXa2W
BitcoinPorn

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2011, 09:09:44 PM

On the other hand, it appears that large numbers of people rely on only a handful of sites to check exchange rates. Whatever they use pretty much becomes the de facto standard. So far that would seem to be "BTC".
Truth.   You are right, the exchanges have way more control over this than the actual merchants.

In way then, yeah, this could be a matter of making all the exchanges agree on something, except with them dealing with "irl" currencies, I am guessing they would not want to 'steal' another currencies' symbol though. But I bet if it was already used and adopted by the majority, it really is out of their control.

Continue using ฿ everyone!   Force the world to accept our little digital currency symbol that at one time was used with some old world currency Smiley

Editors Note:  I have BTC I think is accepted, known, that is ours.  I am guessing all discussion at this point has to do only with the symbol, not the 'btc' three letter term, which is more or less the equivalent of the USD marking, not the symbol.

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 09:46:25 PM

like the middle one, has less of a 3 feel to it, seems formal and looks to be racing to somewhere ... the others are good for freehand, like the concept generally.

Leon

Activity: 14

View Profile
July 13, 2011, 10:31:39 PM

I propose that we adopt the Thai baht currency symbol, ฿, as the official bitcoin currency symbol and BTC as the official bitcoin three letter currency code.

I think we all have already lol.  Smiley
Nescio

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 01:02:05 AM

The Thai economy positively dwarf's that of bitcoin - so what sort of crazy definition of 'obscure' are you using?

Ask any one of those horribly suffering under the overloaded use of $ whether they have heard of the Thai Baht. Ask them to point out where Thailand is. The continent at least.

Before you twist my meaning, I'm not saying the country is obscure and its economy doesn't exist. I'm saying the average person in the target audience has no clue and won't mind.

If as you say Bitcoin remains as insignificant as it is now, then it's not going to be a problem. If it grows to a stage where it will be, then people will know to look for the context, just as those horrible sufferers manage to now.

In the meantime, Bitcoin isn't hobbled by yet another artificial hurdle.
netrin

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 02:17:06 AM

Consensus certainly will win regardless of this discussion here. The posted graphics are more for logo/trademark/brand recognition.

Ask any one of those horribly suffering under the overloaded use of $ whether they have heard of the Thai Baht. Ask them to point out where Thailand is. The continent at least.

How is that relevant? Why include ignoramuses in your argument against clarity? Most $-citizens couldn't point a Euro zone country on a map, either. And most people do assume, often incorrectly, that $ means FRN/USD.

Don't under estimate the confusion that peso sign '$' produces and baht '฿' potentially would. You are of course aware that a large fraction of all English and Spanish speaking nations use the peso sign? Because you can point all these nations out on a map perhaps you've traveled to some, such as Australia, New Zealand or most anywhere in the Americas between Canada and Antarctica, maybe you've been confused - particularly in tourist areas? Or perhaps on websites - some of which have localization, other's without, or poorly implemented?

I'm saying the average person in the target audience has no clue and won't mind.

Who is the target audience?

Greenlandic tupilak. Hand carved, traditional cursed bone figures. Sorry, polar bear, walrus and human remains not available for export.
julz
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 02:37:11 AM

Consensus certainly will win regardless of this discussion here.

Sadly I think so. (sadly because I think it'll be a narrow consensus built by somewhat insular bitcoiners)

I just don't think it's in the interests of the bitcoin community to sabotage the work other standards bodies are trying to do.

It may be that it's a tortuous red-tape ridden process to get a unique character allocated..  even if so.. I'd prefer to do without than rape every system with a 'bitcoin trumps all' mentality.

Bitcoin is disruptive enough as is - mainly I hope, in ultimately good ways.

BitcoinPorn

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2011, 03:15:21 AM

Self preservation of the coin.  It has to come in tough and swinging against all other currencies.  When is the last time a currency was accepted among so many different people among so many different lands?

The logistics of a currency symbol being incorporated into every single computer that is already in everyone's home, not going to happen.

The numbers of people who use the ฿ symbol currently versus the numbers of people wanting to use it for Bitcoin, who knows, but that number is growing, we know that based on numbers and even how the system itself is made, we will be making these little ฿'s for some time now.

There is no way to properly handle this situation, and I am nearly fully sure that no country is going to be okay with a swiping of their old relic to make way for new world order.   Oh wait, now I'm sounding like one of the kooks (more so than normal, cause even I'm noticing it).  I'm only half kidding in what I write here, I really do think it will just have to be a forced taking of that symbol, I wish there was options around that, that would be realistic.

I really think the sooner everyone gets over this hump its for the best (thread was started in 2010 lol), it does suck for the Thai people, but maybe in the end they will just make BTC their main currency Wink

julz
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 03:53:42 AM

The logistics of a currency symbol being incorporated into every single computer that is already in everyone's home, not going to happen.
There is no way to properly handle this situation
There is a proper way. The longer and more patient way that would ultimately gain bitcoin more respect.
It's been done for the Euro, the Indian Rupee and others.

See this article for a glimpse at how seriously countries take it:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7923825.stm

I am nearly fully sure that no country is going to be okay with a swiping of their old relic to make way for new world order. 
Indeed not..

Oh wait, now I'm sounding like one of the kooks
Well.. a bit, yeah..   
I don't understand the impatience to get the symbol, let alone one that gives none of the status that a new bitcoin-specific one would give.
Work on getting the currency accepted by merchants and at least tolerated by nations and the rest will follow.

BitcoinPorn

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2011, 04:11:50 AM

See this article for a glimpse at how seriously countries take it:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7923825.stm

Oh India, have you nothing better to do with your time lol

That link proved my point:  "Even after a decade, many people still do not use the euro sign. The BBC, for example, writes out "euro", partly because it may still be unfamiliar to some readers, and partly because many keyboards still do not feature the sign."

I think there is a confusing situation happening about countries needing to respect Bitcoin and other such issues, I'm not seeing these as issues.  India.  Thai.  All these people can feel whatever way they want to, but I have no doubts the people mining and hoarding and enjoying Bitcoin within those places already do not give a crap about their old physical money, nor will the majority of people here.

I would love for Bitcoin to be accepted by the masses in a way that works with current currencies, but the very nature of how Bitcoin works to me is, there is no lands, no country, just one money with it's value determined by the people exchanging.     You use the word patience and such, this is the way it should go down, but now offer a way that it could happen, without it requiring the agreement of everyone.

I think the exchanges were mentioned before, without knowing specifically how, would getting a hold of the top 10 exchanges change it for everyone?    Even if Gox, Tradehill, etc, all used a brand new symbol to represent Bitcoin, and that is just how it was.   Do you feel that would be enough to change every merchant's mind to switch from logos and other assets for their shops, logos and assets their customer base already associates with their store, and they would give it up for what?   So people in Thai they have never seen can keep their symbol that person never knew as anything but for Bitcoin?

I'm trying to break it down realistically, it does not make sense.

netrin

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 04:32:04 AM

It's probably fine to use the Baht (฿), just as many in countries that officially use the cifrão (two slashes) will use the paso/dollar (one slash) for convenience. None the less, it's still valuable to have a distinct, meaningful glyph/logo, whether or not it can be typed on a keyboard today.

I think MtGox's ฿TC looks amateur.

julz
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 04:42:30 AM

It's probably fine to use the Baht (฿), just as many in countries that officially use the cifrão (two slashes) will use the paso/dollar (one slash) for convenience. None the less, it's still valuable to have a distinct, meaningful glyph/logo, whether or not it can be typed on a keyboard today.

I think MtGox's ฿TC looks amateur.

This hash B thing does rock.
Would be nicer in my opinion if the hash were at the bottom of the B..  as if to say bitcoin is *based* on hashes.. but either way - I like it.

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 06:01:23 AM

Bhash (bit of a hack job)

julz
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 06:36:52 AM

hmm.. ears vs legs... tough call.
The one with legs looks like it goes faster!

cloon

Activity: 387

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 07:43:19 AM

Startet a Vote with most symbols of this threat
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=28741.0

donations to 13zWUMSHA7AzGjqWmJNhJLYZxHmjNPKduY
wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 08:17:57 AM

As much as I love the new #-B combination, I'm not sure it works on a small scale:

I hope someone more talented is able to make a better looking version with 10 pixel height, because this is a must-have for a proper new symbol.

Apart from that, I think the #-B is a great idea: It has similarity to other currency symbols, is distinct from any existing symbol and most importantly: it incorporates the symbol for the foundation of the Bitcoin system!
Please, somebody make this scale and lets propose this as a new Unicode character!

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
julz
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 09:04:22 AM

As much as I love the new #-B combination, I'm not sure it works on a small scale:

I hope someone more talented is able to make a better looking version with 10 pixel height, because this is a must-have for a proper new symbol.

Apart from that, I think the #-B is a great idea: It has similarity to other currency symbols, is distinct from any existing symbol and most importantly: it incorporates the symbol for the foundation of the Bitcoin system!
Please, somebody make this scale and lets propose this as a new Unicode character!

mm.. it is hard at that scale.
I tried with the hash at the base:

icon size at 16x16 comes out a little better:

.. should probably leave it to the pros.

kloinko1n

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 01:05:26 PM

The problem with the hash, an with the double lines through the B, is that it's simply too much ink for such a small area.
One line would be far better, so I'd vote for a 'b' with horizontal line through it (␢?)
Stemby
Legendary

Activity: 2450
Merit: 1008

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 01:09:11 PM

Who wants to try with FontForge?

“…virtual currencies, could have a substitution effect on central bank money if they become widely accepted.”
ECB Report, October 2012
wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 02:01:49 PM

The problem with the hash, an with the double lines through the B, is that it's simply too much ink for such a small area.
One line would be far better, so I'd vote for a 'b' with horizontal line through it (␢?)
I agree - double lines through the B are impossible - even the Baht symbol doesn't work well with small fonts. But the #-B as well as the B with the double lines on top and bottom only (from the bitcoin.org logo) does not necessarily have this problem. I think it's perfectly possible and might have a look at FontForge later.

It would be great if everybody tried to design his/her favorite non-existing font symbol for BTC with something like FontForge and then we can finally have a poll on a Bitcoin symbol without being restricted by existing typesets.

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
TierNolan
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1083

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 02:36:05 PM

What about switching it to a lower case b

1LxbG5cKXzTwZg9mjL3gaRE835uNQEteWF
netrin

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 02:37:43 PM
Last edit: July 14, 2011, 03:14:59 PM by netrin

I think it looks fine as you've done it. Keep in mind that fonts are not boolean pixels, there's antialiasing and subpixel rendering (LCD screen), etc. is not more complex than a %. As for a 'lower case' version:

Tho I personally prefer the original #B

Or more subdued:

Based on edgeworth's design

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 02:52:24 PM

lower case, how will this one shrink I wonder?

BitcoinPorn

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2011, 04:31:35 PM

I see Edgeworth's design everywhere, how did that not become just the staple for the symbol talk?   It has definitely been the accepted icon for Bitcoin.  I see it more than I do the Orange B logo.  It has the lines clearly drawn.

Someone just needs to black and white that, throw it in a font program, clean it up, bam, right?

TierNolan
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 04:57:48 PM

Someone just needs to black and white that, throw it in a font program, clean it up, bam, right?

Yeah, I agree that it is the best one. 

Slightly off topic, what is needed is some kind of standard way of distributing new fonts. 

For example, to register a new character, you would register a domain name at name-of-new-symbol.fnt.  This would be a high resolution or vector graphics image of the character.

When a browser or text editor hits an unknown symbol, it could download it and use that.  Popular symbols would eventually make it into standard fonts.

To add a symbol to a document you are typing, you would use ALT+name-of-new-symbol and it would add it if available, or download it if not already available.

This could work for all the old symbols too.  ALT+d-o-l-l-a-r would give the $ symbol.  It would be like a DNS for fonts Smiley.  You wouldn't have to remember the unicode numbers.  It would make files larger though if you used a lot of non-standard characters.

All it would take it one unicode symbol which means non-standard character. 

Ryland R. Taylor-Almanza
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 07:55:31 PM

I see Edgeworth's design everywhere, how did that not become just the staple for the symbol talk?   It has definitely been the accepted icon for Bitcoin.  I see it more than I do the Orange B logo.  It has the lines clearly drawn.

I don't think it's Edgeworth's design you see everywhere. Edgeworth's design is fairly new. You might be confusing it with this, as they are very similar:
Of course, I may be wrong.

▄████▀
             ▄████▀
           ▄████▀  ▄██▄
         ▄████▀    ▀████▄
       ▄████▀        ▀████▄
     ▄████▀            ▀████▄
     ▀████▄            ▄████▀
       ▀████▄        ▄████▀
         ▀████▄    ▄████▀
           ▀████▄▄████▀
             ▀██████▀
               ▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄            
▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀    ▄▄█▄▄ ▀▀▄         
▀▀▄   █   ▀▀▄▄▄▀▀▀         
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▀▀▀▀              
              ▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
          ▄▄████████████████▄▄
        ▄██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄
        ▀██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
          ▀▀████████████████▀▀
              ▀▀▀██████▀▀▀
            ▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
         ▄█▀▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀▀█▄
       █▀▀ ▄█████████████▄ ▀▀█
    █▄       █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
     █▄      ▀█████████▀
      ▀█▄      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
        ▀▀█▄▄  ▄▄▄
            ▀▀█████
[]
TierNolan
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 07:56:48 PM

Of course, I may be wrong.

I don't think you are Smiley.

BitcoinPorn

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2011, 07:58:22 PM

I don't think it's Edgeworth's design you see everywhere. Edgeworth's design is fairly new. You might be confusing it with this, as they are very similar:
Ah, yeah, that is the one I am used to.   Conceptually with the line placement in the B, though a different font/italics, I think has that same, bold, solid look.  I like the italics more Sad

Ryland R. Taylor-Almanza
Legendary

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 08:01:23 PM

Ah, yeah, that is the one I am used to.   Conceptually with the line placement in the B, though a different font/italics, I think has that same, bold, solid look.  I like the italics more Sad
I like Edgeworth's Italics better as well, but I like the shiny-ness of this one. Cheesy

▄████▀
             ▄████▀
           ▄████▀  ▄██▄
         ▄████▀    ▀████▄
       ▄████▀        ▀████▄
     ▄████▀            ▀████▄
     ▀████▄            ▄████▀
       ▀████▄        ▄████▀
         ▀████▄    ▄████▀
           ▀████▄▄████▀
             ▀██████▀
               ▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄            
▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀    ▄▄█▄▄ ▀▀▄         
▀▀▄   █   ▀▀▄▄▄▀▀▀         
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▀▀▀▀              
              ▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
          ▄▄████████████████▄▄
        ▄██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄
        ▀██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
          ▀▀████████████████▀▀
              ▀▀▀██████▀▀▀
            ▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
         ▄█▀▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀▀█▄
       █▀▀ ▄█████████████▄ ▀▀█
    █▄       █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█
     █▄      ▀█████████▀
      ▀█▄      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
        ▀▀█▄▄  ▄▄▄
            ▀▀█████
[]
BitcoinPorn

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2011, 08:04:07 PM

I like Edgeworth's Italics better as well, but I like the shiny-ness of this one. Cheesy

Been staring at these things too long, I was almost instantly like "Oh yeah, I know what you mean".. but double checked.  And ... I know what you mean Sad  That glare on the original does have a 'newer' shine than Edgeworth's.   In fact, now his looks like a dirty penny

TiagoTiago

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 09:34:50 PM

What about switching it to a lower case b

Am i the only one that sees balls and erect penis there before seeing a hashb?

Do you like mmmBananas?!
netrin

View Profile
July 14, 2011, 11:50:35 PM
Last edit: July 15, 2011, 12:07:21 AM by netrin

Am i the only one that sees balls and erect penis there before seeing a hashb?

I can't speak for others, but uh no, not until you mention it.

Don't get caught up on the colors and auxiliary graphics. The beauty of edgeworth's design is in the glyph shape. His lines are clean, uniform, connected, and simple.

I just happen to disagree about the specific location of the bottom lines which could be moved top and left to allow a # (hash) or ♯ (sharp) to subtly emerge (as attempted in posts above).

skull88

Activity: 683

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 01:00:24 PM

I made the shiny one, but the B from Edgeworth is far superior, he actually thought about it, I just recreated the B from a design from Satoshi: https://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=64.0 and spended more time on the overall coin and just made sure the B was looking good.

I'll try to find some time to make the shiny coin with the B from Edgeworth, gives a better view, but thrust me, the B he made is perfect. Smiley

Only problem with the B with double slashes, it looks splendid as a logo, but for typographic use it has one line to much, that's why you also see the dollar symbol with 2 lines when it is a big logo but with one line in fonts: $. And if you lose one line in the double lined B you'll get: ฿.

BTC: 1MifMqtqqwMMAbb6zr8u6qEzWqq3CQeGUr
LTC: LhvMYEngkKS2B8FAcbnzHb2dvW8n9eHkdp
Pander

Activity: 23

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 03:04:10 PM

Hi all, if you agree, please merge all serious proposals and requirement for Bitcoin sign here: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Bitcoin_symbol#New_Unicode_symbol in order to have a clear and high quality overview in stead of them being distributed over many long posts. Of course the posts remain useful in discussing proposed Bitcoin signs.
netrin

View Profile
July 19, 2011, 03:39:30 PM

I'll try to find some time to make the shiny coin with the B from Edgeworth, gives a better view, but thrust me, the B he made is perfect. Smiley

Looking forward to seeing that. (you weren't sold on any of the #B glyphs?)

Only problem with the B with double slashes, it looks splendid as a logo, but for typographic use it has one line to much, that's why you also see the dollar symbol with 2 lines when it is a big logo but with one line in fonts: $. And if you lose one line in the double lined B you'll get: ฿.

Not entirely (unless you constrain yourself to Unicode). Edgeworth's first vertical would share the left side of B and the second slash does not cross through the loops of the B.

wareen
Millionaire
Legendary

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 11:42:29 AM

I just included an updated version of a new proposal for a reference character:
   https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Bitcoin_symbol#Submissions

Feedback is welcome!
It is based on the original design ideas from netrin and RylandAlmanza.
I also included a link to the SVG, so anyone who might want to improve upon it is encouraged to do so.

Please do create and submit your own proposals for a standard reference character but please read the excellent coverage from Pander in the wiki first. I really hope that we can come up with a few more designs in order to cover a larger part of the communities individual preferences.

Once we have that, we can hopefully reach a community consensus on the future official Bitcoin Unicode character and issue our request to the Unicode consortium.

▄▄▀▀▄▄
    ▄▄▀▀▄▄██▄▄▀▀▄▄
▄▄▀▀▄▄█████▄████▄▄▀▀▄▄
█▀▀█▄█████████████
█▄▄████▀   ▀██████
███████     █▄████
█████▀█▄   ▄██████
█▄█████▌   ▐█████
█████▀█     ██████
██▄███████████████
▀▀▄▄▀▀█████▀████▀▀▄▄▀▀
    ▀▀▄▄▀▀██▀▀▄▄▀▀
        ▀▀▄▄▀▀
.PDATA..
TOKEN..
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
██
██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██   ██

██   ██
██
██
██
██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██  ██

██  ██
██
██
TiagoTiago

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 09:16:53 PM

You missed some of the submited ones in the original table...

Do you like mmmBananas?!
artisbigshirts

Activity: 60

dwda

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2011, 09:53:11 PM

Here's something I came up with real quick.
It's a combo of the cent symbol and a b.

Handwritten:

I'm diggin the #3 version though, in handwriting it looks pretty badass.

//Kevin Risinger;
//Graphic Design;
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=30623.0

//Donation Address;
1GgFzhP2ef
Mushroomized
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

Hello!

View Profile
August 11, 2011, 05:39:42 PM

Here is one I made, I need to work on the shading a bit.

hi
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
August 30, 2011, 12:38:04 AM

We already have B⃦ in every popular Bitcoin logo.

Micio
Legendary

Activity: 1061
Merit: 1283

View Profile
November 27, 2019, 06:13:56 PM

Bitcoin sign has been added to Unicode 10.0 (June 2017).

Congrats everyone.

kro55

Activity: 1624
Merit: 301

*STOP NOWHERE*

View Profile
November 27, 2019, 06:31:20 PM

Congrats everyone.

The Bitcoin sign is part of Unicode 10.0 (released June 2017) with code point U+20BF (₿).
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Bitcoin_symbol
Reading early comments in this from 2010 and 2011 gives you nostalgic. This may the first debate on deciding the logo of Bitcoin, hates off to all early contributes of this forum. I wish somoen who has commented in 2010, may come up and share his views.

freebitcoin       ▄▄▄█▀▀██▄▄▄
   ▄▄██████▄▄█  █▀▀█▄▄
  ███  █▀▀███████▄▄██▀
   ▀▀▀██▄▄█  ████▀▀  ▄██
▄███▄▄  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▄▄██████
██▀▀█████▄     ▄██▀█ ▀▀██
██▄▄███▀▀██   ███▀ ▄▄  ▀█
███████▄▄███ ███▄▄ ▀▀▄  █
██▀▀████████ █████  █▀▄██
 █▄▄████████ █████   ███
  ▀████  ███ ████▄▄███▀
     ▀▀████   ████▀▀
BITCOIN
DICE
EVENT
BETTING
WIN A LAMBO !

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
  ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
       ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
▄█████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
▀█████
PLAY NOW
█████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
█████▀
Artemis3
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1563

CLEAN non GPL infringing code made in Rust lang

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2019, 12:34:25 AM

Congrats everyone.

Hmm, did you know that i actually posted a thread about it last year?

Here is how to produce the ₿ (Bitcoin) symbol in xorg (Linux/BSD/etc) by keypres

The (Bitcoin) symbol exists officially in unicode under code U+20BF since 2017 (Unicode v10). If you have a fairly recent Unicode font, such as Google's Noto, you can already see the Bitcoin symbol and use it by copy paste or unicode input along the traditional fiat symbols like $, £, €, etc.

As i explained back then, anyone with a recent enough unicode font should have access to this symbol. I mentioned Google's Noto which happens to be in Android as well. If you don't have this font in your OS, install it, its free. Other unicode fonts (updated after v10) should have this symbol by now.

██████
███████
███████
████████
BRAIINS OS+|AUTOTUNING
MINING FIRMWARE
|
Increase hashrate on your Bitcoin ASICs,
improve efficiency as much as 25%, and
get 0% pool fees on Braiins Pool
diahsw

Activity: 756
Merit: 105

View Profile
November 28, 2019, 12:40:16 AM

why should Thailand, is not bitcoin valid in all countries, I think it's strange to follow your advice .. !!

S T R A Y   ███  ANIMAL TOKEN - CHARITY AND INVESTMENTS
───── ─    BUY NOW       ─ ─────
WEBSITE     TWITTER     TELEGRAM     REDDIT     WHITEPAPER
owengtam09

Activity: 1330
Merit: 248

View Profile
November 28, 2019, 02:34:06 AM

I don't think there is a problem with it because the $ is also using by other countries as long as they know what currency it is then there is no confusion will happen and I think the physical money itself will still be the best reference by the money exchangers.
OnceTwiceThird

Activity: 606

View Profile
November 28, 2019, 04:03:33 AM

I don't think there is a problem with it because the $ is also using by other countries as long as they know what currency it is then there is no confusion will happen and I think the physical money itself will still be the best reference by the money exchangers.
What the problem by bitcoin symbol? I think there are not have the same symbol like bitcoin with many companies and other project, I like with bitcoin symbol because very simple and interested with many investor, I found many the shirt using bitcoin symbol and give best promoting for many people using bitcoin symbol to help bitcoin have higher price.
ragavancoin

Activity: 1432

View Profile
November 28, 2019, 11:59:20 AM

Bitcoin is a unicode character.

Good thought. It will be a great idea if we have Bitcoin emotions but we don't find anywhere.

As you have thought about it create a Emoji symbol so that we can use it in our conversation Orelse we just have to use money bag symbol or smiley in that Bitcoin as Emoji.

Create bitcoin symbol that should be unique but make sure it will be available on keyboards so that we can use.

▄█  █▄
              ▄▀█  █▌
             █▀ █ ▐█  ▄      ▄▄▄
         ▀▄ ██▄▄█ ▐█  ▀▀      █▀▄▄
           ██▀▀██ █▌  █▌ ▄▀▀▌ █▄▄
     █▄▄  ▄█   ▄█▐█▌  █▌▐█    █  ▄▄

▄▄▄▄▀███▀   ▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀ ▄▀      █
▄██               ▐▌█ █▀▄ █▄  ▄▄  █       █▌  ▐▌
██▌              ▀█▄      ▐█▌▐▌██▐█       █▌  ▐▌
██▌    █▀▄█ ▄▐█▀▀▄█▌▄▀▀▄   ███▌██▐█▄▀▀▄█▀▄▐▌▄▀█▌
▀███▄▄ █▀▄█▄█▐█▄▄▀▐█▀▄▄▀    ██ ▀██▀▀█▄▀█▀▄▐ █▄▀█
  ▀▀▀    █ ▄█▐▌                          █
          ▀  █                            ▀
WIN A
▀██████████▀
██
██
██
██
▀██████████▀

▀██████████▀

▀██████████▀
███████████▀
██
████████████
          ██
▄███████████
██
██
██
██
███████████▀
▀██████████▀

████████████
██        ██
██        ██
.CYBERTRUCK.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
            ▄▄▄████████████▀▀▄▄█████▄▄▄▄▄▄
      ▄▄▄██████████████▀▀▄▄█████████████████▄▄▄
▄▄▄███████████████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████████████████▌
███████████████
██████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████▀▀▀▀▀██████
 ████████▀   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████████▀             ▀▀▀▀
  ▀▀▀▀▀▀             ▀██████▀
$60,000 IN BTC
$50,000 IN ETH
& MORE!
Broke@$$Joe

Activity: 40
Merit: 5

View Profile
October 06, 2020, 09:13:24 PM

Nice work! I don't understand the doubling thing, care to explain?
Just found out of Bitcoin, Ive spent nights and days reading old forums just to see how great the times were.
I wish I had been here back than but I was just a 7 years old kiddo with no internet access from a third world country.
I know nobody gives a sh!t to help a stranger out, but I see it a far-fetched dream owning a whole Bitcoin, with a 250$ off taxes salary, a job which was lost due to covide and Im currently unemployed. My lifesaving are around 1.2K while Bitcoin is sitting at 10K area today.
Please care to explain the doubling part bro Cry It might help me if still available cuz Im tired of asking new investors like a MAN TO A MAN for any fraction of Bitcoin. World is so greedy!
Wished I had been around than and been older, I would've bought a shitload of Bitcoin and today I would've been the one who would share his abundance cuz I would've been happy and settled down ever for my future generations with just 100BTC@10k
I hope U still safe and sound Smiley
All the best bro
iTradeChips

Activity: 1792
Merit: 536

Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform

View Profile
October 07, 2020, 03:02:11 AM

For me, I am comfortable with the three letter symbol for BTC. I agree with most others say that if you use a new symbol and that is not accepted by everybody then it will cause confusion. We are in unregulated space and practically people can do anything with their cryptos anyway they want to, but we have to agree that not everything in crypto can be changed by someone without a consensus of everybody. And the answer is clear, no one want to use any symbol, except for BTC.

█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
Stake.com
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
   ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██  ▄████▄
   ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██████████ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██  ██████
   ██ ██████████ ██      ██ ██████████ ██   ▀██▀
   ██ ██      ██ ██████  ██ ██      ██ ██    ██
   ██ ██████  ██ █████  ███ ██████  ██ ████▄ ██
   ██ █████  ███ ████  ████ █████  ███ ████████
   ██ ████  ████ ██████████ ████  ████ ████▀
   ██ ██████████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████ ██
   ██            ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀            ██ 
   ▀█████████▀ ▄████████████▄ ▀█████████▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███  ██  ██  ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀█▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
██         ▐█▌         ██
████▄     ▄█████▄     ▄████
████████▄███████████▄████████
███▀    █████████████    ▀███
██       ███████████       ██
▀█▄       █████████       ▄█▀
▀█▄    ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄  ▄▄▄█▀
▀███████         ███████▀
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
PLAY NOW
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
Jayrmalakas

Activity: 462
Merit: 11

View Profile
October 07, 2020, 09:50:26 AM

three letter symbol is so cute .no nheed to long letter or word to sying bitcoin , it is enough for me and bitcoin code is a billion money more money to have

███ P2P CASH ▬ ███ ▍ SMART CONTRACT PLATFORMis the platform fully dedicated to ██████████ JOIN ██████████ ◥ international money transactions ▐ ◼ discordtwittertelegram
worldofcoins

Activity: 1848
Merit: 418

Need a campaign manager? | Telegram:@worldofcoinss

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2020, 04:13:35 PM

It appears to be a Dollar sign and I figure we should have to go something different since its like opposed to duplicating USD.
The more significant thing is people may think its a trick/scam and a duplicate feline of USD. They can ridicule it and deceiving it would be harmful to what's to come.
For me I concur with the 3 three-letters there's nothing incorrectly with it and can be worth around the world.
Blackrain13

Activity: 328
Merit: 2

View Profile
October 10, 2020, 04:25:44 PM

There's nothing wrong using a symbol of bitcoin but I prefer to use the three letter BTC which is easy to identify and recognize, also I am more comfortable using it. I think it depends on everyone if what you want to use as a symbol for Bitcoin.

██  ▀■  KittieFIGHT.io  ■▀  ██
▄    Real time dapp game    ▄
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: